Burnt out on online learning? Frustrated with your child’s schooling experience? Whether recent events have spun your education plans upside down or you’ve been considering homeschool for a while, getting started with home education can seem overwhelming. Fortunately, Sonlight has been doing this for a while...more than 30 years! We’re here to help you navigate the process from the first day of school to graduation day.
You’re here because you love your children and value their education. You’ve already taught your children naturally since birth! You can certainly continue to teach them throughout the next stages in life. Utilize the resources on this page to get started homeschooling today.
How Does Homeschooling Work?
You’ve probably heard rumblings about homeschooling for a while. Your best friend’s sister homeschools her children; your husband’s work colleague homeschools his children. There’s no doubt that you’re intrigued by the idea, but you’ve been wondering for a while... How does homeschooling work? You are in the right place. So friend, make yourself a cup of coffee, and settle in and let’s talk about all the ins and outs of homeschooling. Click on the image below to learn all the ins & outs of homeschooling. From the cost of homeschooling to the legal side, to homeschooling FAQs, tips, and everything in between.
You Have What It Takes To Homeschool
Unsure about homeschooling? You're not alone! When Sonlight’s founder, Sarita Holzmann, first realized she needed to homeschool, she was not thrilled. She found herself overwhelmed, uncertain, and reluctant. After starting, she found that, with her literature-based method, she actually loved this new dimension of her life.
At that time, there were no complete curriculum programs available; moms had to assemble products piecemeal. She started Sonlight because she found that homeschooling was such a blessing to her and her family, and she wanted to make that blessing available to others ... like you.
As Sonlight celebrates 30 years of connecting families and helping kids love to learn, hear Sarita powerful story and be encouraged by her amassed homeschool advice.
Get Started Homeschooling - Free Guides
We created these free guides to help parents understand what homeschooling is like, to weigh the pros and cons, and set you on the path of getting started should you decide that homeschooling is a good fit for your family.
Get answers to the most common questions beginning homeschoolers have, and learn the basics you need to know to start your own homeschooling journey today. Get the free guide.
The Pros and Cons of Homeschooling
Discover if homeschooling is right for your family! The benefits, challenges and even Sonlight founder Sarita Holzmann she shares some of the biggest benefits that she found homeschooling offered her family. Get the free guide
How to Start Homeschooling Checklist
Download this free printable homeschool checklist and ensure you've covered all your bases. Get the free guide
Sonlight is an all-in-one homeschool curriculum that has guided thousands of families to start (and continue) homeschooling their children with ease and confidence. Once you’re ready, see how you can personalize a homeschool experience for your kids when choosing your Sonlight curriculum.
If at any point in the process you need one-on-one assistance, reach out to an Advisor for help.
8 Ways to Start Your Sonlight Homeschool Adventure Today
- Try Sonlight Free
Request the Sonlight Invitation (it's free!) and see if this exceptional, literature-based education is right for your family. Request your free trial here.
- Request a Catalog
Enjoy the Sonlight catalog in digital or print format, or get both! Request one free today.
- Join the Sonlight Community
Interact with fellow Sonlighters, get homeschool advice, and more in the Sonlight Connections Community. Find community here.
- Sign Up For Our Emails
Get ongoing encouragement, inspiration, and practical homeschool advice delivered right to your inbox. Sign up today!
- See Where Past Sonlighters Are Now
The Sonlight literature-based method works! See where some past Sonlight students are today. Learn more.
- Homeschool With Purpose
Discover Sonlight's Top 10 Goals and you'll have a vision of what to expect in your upcoming school year. Learn more.
- Hear Stories from Other New Homeschoolers
We talked to our new homeschoolers to find out how contented they are about their choice to homeschool. See what they said.
- Listen in to our Podcast
Join our conversation with homeschool experts for encouragement, tips, and fellowship. We explore homeschooling through the lens of literature-rich, Christ-centered education. Listen in!
Pros and Cons of Homeschooling
Homeschooling is a great option, but it's not the only educational choice. And it's not for every family, every year.
Some families use a mix of homeschooling, private education, and public schools for their children, choosing different options year by year as needs change. When you choose to homeschool, remember that it can be on a trial basis for just one year. Then you can revisit the decision, weighing your kids' needs and your current family situation. You are never locked into a choice, so don't be intimidated about exploring all your options—including homeschooling.
Pros of Home Education
- You are the central influence in your children’s lives and have more opportunities to build meaningful relationships with them.
- You get to see the lightbulb moments when they learn to read, when multiplication finally clicks, and when the science experiment works exactly as expected.
- You can tailor your children's education according to their specific gifts, interests, special needs, and learning styles.
- You can share your values and beliefs with your children and guide them as difficult questions surface.
- Home education shields your children from certain negative influences they may encounter at school.
- Your family can experience a lifestyle of freedom outside the constraints of a school year calendar.
- Your kids have more time for adequate sleep and play.
Cons of Homeschooling
- If your family and friends disagree with your choice, you may feel the need to justify your decision to homeschool.
- Your children are home with you day after day, so you will spend more time with them than you may be accustomed to.
- You may have to readjust your lifestyle as you live on a single income or find ways to work from home.
- You may sense a feeling of isolation depending on the number of like minded homeschoolers in your local community.
- Homeschooling requires flexibility. You may have to manage feelings of being behind or not accomplishing everything you had in mind.
- You may have to get out of your comfort zone as you learn how to homeschool effectively.
See more on the pros and cons of homeschooling in this free digital guide—our gift to you.
Free Resources for Homeschooling
Kicking off your homeschool adventure doesn't have to be a struggle; there are thousands of parents who have gone before you and documented their journey. Here are FREE resources to ease your homeschool fears and equip you to educate your children.
Things to Read
- Learn How to Conquer Your Clutter in 8 Easy Steps.
- Absorb the advice and encouragement on the Sonlight blog.
- Learn how to overcome your fears of homeschooling here.
- Read the alphabetical guide to homeschooling.
Things to Research
- Curriculum. Years ago, homeschool resources were scarce, but now the choices can be overwhelming. Find your curriculum style with the help from this ultimate guide to picking a curriculum.
- Crafting a schedule doesn't have to be frustrating. Check out these ideas to make building the right schedule for your family easy peasy.
- What is literature-based homeschooling? Learn more here.
- Want to know about the legal issues concerning homeschooling in your state? This interactive page from HSLDA will help.
- Want to know if Sonlight will be at a homeschool convention in your area? Find out here.
- Sonlight is an all-in-one curriculum that makes it easy to start homeschooling. What is it like to homeschool with Sonlight? This Q&A + video can help!
- Sonlight isn't a good fit for everyone, but you'll know if it will be a good fit for your family after reading this article.
- Connect with Sonlight online via your favorite social media channel. Check out what other Sonlighters are saying with #sonlightstories