World History (One Year Condensed)
Journey through the highlights of World History
Sonlight W is a wonderful introduction to the delight of learning. The approachable, winsome, gripping books compel students to keep reading. Your reluctant learners might even start sneaking books off to finish ahead of schedule!
With Sonlight W, your students will see the connected flow of human history from creation through the present, and they'll have a great time doing so. This level also helps students develop critical thinking skills and understand the world today by seeing how we got where we are. The 36-week study helps them understand their own and others' cultures by seeing connections between civilizations around the world and throughout time.
- Sweep through ancient and modern history with this one-year program.
- Homeschool with confidence: you get daily plans and complete materials for the entire year.
- Meet a samurai warrior, Augustus Caesar, Joan of Arc, Michelangelo, Martin Luther, Napoleon and more.
- Learn from the past and see how each generation's choices impact the world.
- Purchase this homeschool curriculum package of literature and history textbooks and you'll get free shipping (lower 48), a one-year guarantee and other perks.
Sonlight's complete World History program takes two full years. If you have the time to do all of Sonlight G and H, that's still my top recommendation. You'll enjoy many more favorite books, and you'll get a deeper, richer study of history.
But not everyone feels they can spend two years on World History. Some customers are new to Sonlight and only have a year before they need to start the high school courses. Some customers know they have only this last year to homeschool, but would like to complete a whole sweep of History.
If so, rather than do only the first half or the second half of World History, I recommend this one-year condensed program. Although, of course, I had to leave some things out, it's my best effort to slim down our two-year program to a single year.
Besides having to remove some books, Sonlight W has one significant change from G and H. In the two-year version, students read the four-volume Story of the World. But four volumes, as well as all the other history books, would be too much in one year. Instead, Sonlight W uses Hillyer's Child's History of the World as the foundation for the History. It has excellent content, and allows the students time to read additional works that add variety and depth to their studies.
Estimated daily time for One-Year World History including your other subjects: Student: 4-6 hrs | Parent: 2-3.5 hrs
First time Sonlighting? Click here for a few required resources.
- Sonlight W Instructor's GuideSonlight W includes History, Geography, Bible, Read-Alouds and Readers.Retail: $131.99
- International Children's Bible Field GuideThe first Bible field guide just for kids. Covers the entire Bible with vivid photos, illustrations, charts and maps. Includes fun activities.Retail: $15.99
- Sing the Word: Credo - I Believe...Sing God's Word. Various musical styles, beautifully arranged for children's voices using orchestral and ethnic instruments.Retail: $15.95
- A Child's History of the WorldRequired Resource for History / Bible / Literature C. (Included in B, and W. If you purchase History / Bible / Literature C and have not used B, or W, you will need to purchase this book separately.)Retail: $40.00
- The Kingdom Strikes BackAn overview of God's heart for the nations as expressed in history from Abraham to the present.Retail: $5.49
- Usborne EncyclopediaThis newly updated Usborne encyclopedia takes readers on a tour of world history, from ancient times to the start of the 21st century. Ancient Egypt, the Aztec Empire, Medieval Europe, the First World...Retail: $23.98
- God's SmugglerShould we obey God or man? Brother Andrew decides, as so many men and women of faith before him, that it is worth risking his life to distribute the Word of God in places where government regulations...Retail: $15.99
- Timeline Figures W80 Timeline Figures for Sonlight W on self-adhesive heavy card stock. Just cut them out, color and stick them in your Timeline Book.Retail: $11.99
- The Golden GobletThis historical fiction novel is about an orphan in ancient Egypt. He desires nothing more than to follow in his father's footsteps as a goldsmith but is forced into a life that he despises. A story of...Retail: $8.99
- The Trojan WarAn exciting and readable version of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey, a thrilling saga of heroism and magical adventure.Retail: $7.99
- Master CornhillBefore the Great Plague swept London in 1665, eleven-year-old Michael Cornhill led a happy life with his foster family.Retail: $11.99
- Favorite Poems Old and NewA stunning collection of more than 700 poems spanning the centuries from the Bible to the first half of the 20th Century and including all styles and all interests--from light verse to epics and the foolish...Retail: $26.99
- A Single ShardSet in 12th-century Korea. A young orphan boy raised by a beggar under a bridge becomes an apprentice to a master potter and grows in his own talents. His journey shows faith, perseverance, and courage.Retail: $8.99
- The Shakespeare StealerA heartwarming story from Elizabethan England.Retail: $8.99
- The Bronze BowSet in Galilee in the time of Jesus, the Bronze Bow by author Elizabeth George Speare is the dramatic story of a young Jewish rebel who is won over by the gentle teachings of Jesus. A wonderful story....Retail: $8.99
- The Great and Terrible QuestSet in the late Middle Ages, a quick-witted orphan risks his life to care for a wounded knight who is on a quest but can't remember what he is searching for. This Middle Ages literature is exciting, engrossing,...Retail: $12.95
- The Singing TreeIn "The Singing Tree" by Kate Seredy, life changes drastically for Kate and Jancsi when Jancsi's father is called tobattle in World War I and the children are left in charge of the farm.Retail: $8.99
- The Sherwood RingA charming story about an orphan who goes to live with her distant uncle only to solve a long family mystery.Retail: $7.99
- The Best Christmas Pageant EverFunny, memorable story of incorrigible children who discover the true meaning of Christmas. A simple, enchanting tale that has become one of America's favorite Christmas stories.Retail: $6.99
- Banner in the SkyThe exciting story of a 16-year-old boy who is determined to conquer the last unconquered summit in the Alps — the very mountain on which his father died fifteen years before.Retail: $8.99
- Number the StarsThe story of a Danish family's role in subverting their Nazi oppressor's evil designs. This selection from our read-aloud books is a gripping, moving story.Retail: $8.99
- A Murder for Her MajestyAlice, after witnessing her father's murder, flees and takes refuge with the choirboys of a large cathedral. Full of intrigue. A great story set in the Elizabethan era.Retail: $7.99
- The BreadwinnerParvana lives in a bombed-out apartment in Afghanistan. When her father is arrested by the Taliban, Parvana must become the breadwinner for her family. Set against the backdrop of war and religious fanaticism,...Retail: $10.99
- Year of Impossible GoodbyesSookan lives through the brutal Japanese occupation and escapes North Korea during the Communist takeover. An eye-opening story of the human spirit in an unjust world. Sad, but unforgettable.Retail: $6.99
- The Good MasterJancsi, a Hungarian boy in the early 1900s, is overjoyed that his cousin is coming to spend the summer at his father's ranch on the Hungarian plains. Their summer proves more adventurous than he had hoped...Retail: $7.99
- The Ghost in the Tokaido InnWhen a precious ruby is stolen, Seikei is the only witness, and a famous samurai judge needs his help. Soon they are hot on the trail of the ruby — and an unforgettable adventure. A delightful Sherlock...Retail: $7.99
- Flame Over TaraThe story of a fourteen-year-old girl in Ireland whose safe and comfortable life is turned upside down. Her plans to return home and get married are disrupted by the arrival of St. Patrick, whose new...Retail: $11.99
- The Samurai's TaleRiveting story of an orphan boy who grows up to be a Samurai in 16th century Japan. Excellent introduction to Japanese culture.Retail: $7.99
- Adam of the RoadA heartwarming story about the son of a traveling minstrel who is separated from his father and forced to live by his wits and music.Retail: $8.99
- Mara, Daughter of the NileMara, a slave, plays the dangerous role of double spy for two arch enemies--each of whom supports a contender for the throne of Egypt. Exciting story of adventure, romance and intrigue in Ancient Egypt.Retail: $8.99
- The Beduins' GazelleWhen Halima and Atiyah were babies, they were pledged in marriage. Now Atiyah has been sent away, a political pawn in a war between Beduin tribes in 1302.Retail: $6.99
- The Mystery of the Roman RansomThe Mystery of the Roman Ransom is about a group of boys who purchase a slave for their tutor on his 50th birthday. When their tutor refuses their gift, the slave tells the boys of a murderous plot against...Retail: $7.99
- Son of CharlemagneIn the year A.D. 781, Carl's father, Charlemagne, reveals that Carl will inherit the throne instead of the oldest son, Pepin. But Carl has his misgivings. How can he accept this honor?Retail: $14.95
- Greek MythsHigh drama, hazardous quests and unforgettable characters (mortal and immortal) reveal the landscape of early Greece and its most famous legends. From the loves of the gods (think Cupid and Psyche) to...Retail: $7.99
- Angel on the SquareKatya Ivanova grows up with the Russian royal family.Retail: $9.99
- Nory Ryan's SongNory Ryan's family has lived on the west coast of Ireland for generations. Times are never easy, but this year, a terrible blight attacks the potatoes.Retail: $7.99
- Snow TreasureNearly a year after World War II broke out in Europe, the Norwegian freighter Bomma reached Baltimore with a cargo of gold bullion worth $9 million.Retail: $7.99
- In Search of HonorJacques Chenier finds himself caught up in the anarchy and terror of the French Revolution — and in a struggle to free himself from his own prison of bitterness.Retail: $10.00
- Chu Ju's HouseWhen a 14-year-old Chinese girl realizes her new baby sister will be sent away to uphold tradition and comply with the law of the land, she determines not to let that happen. Instead, she leaves home...Retail: $7.99