History of Science
DISCOVER SCIENTIFIC INQUIRY OVER THE LAST 4000 YEARS
In this 36-week homeschool program, students will explore 4000 years of scientific thought. Witness the curiosity, egos, quirks, and flashes of brilliance as people sought answers to how the world works. Read the stories of how scientists discovered scientific and mathematical laws, and grasp the significance of chemistry, astronomy, physics, and advanced math.
Sonlight J provides an in-depth study of how science and history intersect. It's a phenomenal story.
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
Take up to one year to use your curriculum. If you don’t love it, return it! Complete details here.
Discover scientific inquiry of the last 4000 years with Sonlight's History of Science program
Pythagoras proved his famous theorem using a stick in the sand. No mathematical digits-they wouldn't be invented for over a thousand years.
A couple hundred years before Christ, Eratosthenes accurately calculated the size of the world using the angle of sunlight in a well on the summer solstice.
Newton compared the trajectory of an apple, a small terrestrial object, with the moon, a heavenly body, and wondered if maybe they were both subjected to the same force. Genius.
Einstein imagined spaceships traveling at near light-speed, and changed the way we view the world.
Explore the curiosity, egos, quirks, and flashes of brilliance from 4000 years of people seeking answers to how the world works. As your students read the stories of how scientists discovered scientific and mathematical laws, they acquire a deeper understanding of scientific concepts in physics, astronomy, and chemistry.
Clear, concise, elegant descriptions, and gorgeous illustrations make this lavish feast for the mind attractive and understandable.
Different books come from three perspectives: secular humanist evolution, creationist, and a surprising, scientific inquiry into evolution (not Darwinism) that demonstrates God's greatness. No other homeschool provider offers a similar program.
Your students will learn scientific thought to the present, including different perspectives so they will know the questions, and engage with a curious mind. With Sonlight J, your students will be prepared for further study, equipped with both humility and enthusiasm.
Although no school district requires "History of Science" as a subject, this program can be used as a World History course, and if you can fit this program in, your life will be richer for it.
Estimated daily time for History of Science, plus your other subjects: Student 4-6 hrs | Parent: 2-3.5 hrs
- Sonlight J Instructor's GuideTeach with confidence from day one! Sonlight J includes History / Bible / Literature.Retail: $131.97
- What's So Amazing About GraceThe world can't duplicate grace, and yet it craves the hope and transformation that grace brings. Explore the church's great distinctive in action. Shocking, scandalous, amazing.Retail: $19.99
- Finding TruthLearn the five powerful principles that penetrate to the core of any worldview from a former agnostic. See how the Christian worldview is not only true but attractive. Clearly written, well organized,...Retail: $22.99
- Disappointment with GodIs God unfair? Is God silent? Is God hidden? The Israelites had a fair, vocal, visible God, and it didn't help them any. More is going on in the heavenlies than is visible, and we don't know what our...Retail: $16.99
- Truth and TransformationTruth and Transformation holds out help, hope and healing — through the Gospel's foundational truths — for the woes of present-day Western society. An international scholar and visionary, the author...Retail: $17.99
- The Mystery of the Periodic TableScientists looked at our diverse world and somehow figured out how to first isolate the elements, and then organize them into the clear chart that we have today. Such a stunning accomplishment . . . and...Retail: $15.95
- Ida Scudder: Healing Bodies, Touching HeartsAmazing story of a woman who grew up in India and couldn't wait to leave. In one night, three men came to ask her to help their laboring wives. All three refused her father's help (he was a doctor), preferring...Retail: $11.99
- The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the WayA gorgeous, lavish book by a master storyteller who obviously loves her subject. Joy Hakim tells the story of scientific thought during ancient Greece and in the years following, focusing on the biographies...Retail: $24.99
- The Story of Science: Newton at the CenterPicking up the story, learn about the advances in science from Newton up to the late 1800s, told mostly through fascinating short biographies of these men of science. Learn about Tycho Brahe's metal nose!...Retail: $27.95
- The Story of Science: Einstein Adds a New DimensionNot sure you're ready for quantum and theoretical physics? You have just needed a better teacher. Hakim does an outstanding job explaining challenging concepts, and you'll understand more than you would...Retail: $27.95
- String, Straight-Edge, and ShadowAn excellent, interesting story of the earliest scientists, from unnamed Egyptians through Euclid, and their ability to figure out basic math using only the three items in the title. How Pythagoras proved...Retail: $16.95
- The Clockwork UniverseThe Royal Society—basically, the world's oldest science club—changed the way we think of the world. Scientific enquiry is open to all, and it's collaborative. A marvelously entertaining look at many...Retail: $18.99
- LongitudeHow easy to take for granted the grid lines on every map and globe. Yet the entire Age of Exploration took place without accurate measurements. Once sailors lost sight of land, they were truly adrift....Retail: $17.00
- Bomb: The Race to BuildNewbery Honor. Moving from detective story to thrilling real-life spy story, Bomb tells about the race to build the world's most dangerous weapon. Marvelous retelling of the spy network and sabotage teams,...Retail: $22.99
- Stuff MattersEngaging, delightful account of ten everyday materials that deserve a second look. How does opaque sand become transparent glass? Can you describe the experience of eating chocolate? How long does it...Retail: $15.95
- Archimedes and the Door of ScienceA delightful biography of Archimedes, the Greek mathematician who made a number of wonderful discoveriesÃ¢â‚¬â€_x009d_or proved their practical application. Once he solved a challenging problem...Retail: $14.95
- Censored ScienceMalone offers a wide variety of articles about things that are not explained by the theory of evolution. Whatever your current beliefs about the origins of life and the age of the earth, you will find...Retail: $19.95
- Evolution 2.0Faced with his missionary brother's move toward atheism, the author had to figure out what he really believed about the origin of the earth. He asks, "Which is harder: 1. Designing a zebra? or 2. Designing...Retail: $16.95
- Interpreting Genesis 1 with IntegrityA thoughtful rebuttal to a fascinating section of Perry Marshall's book Evolution 2.0. An interesting read!Retail: $3.99
- Timeline Figures J76 Timeline Figures on pre-gummed heavy card stock. Just cut them out, color, and stick in your Timeline Book. Sonlight's Timeline Book, paired with program-specific Timeline Figures, makes creating your...Retail: $11.99
- HolesWinner of the Newbery Medal and the National Book Award. Stanley Yelnats, unjustly sentenced to a boys' detention center, spends every day digging holes five feet wide by five feet deep. But there's something...Retail: $8.99
- Penny from HeavenNewbery Honor. A shining story about the everyday and the extraordinary, inspired by the author's own Italian-American family. Told with all the richness and the layers, the love and the laughter of a...Retail: $7.99
- Belle Prater's BoyNewbery Honor. When Belle Prater disappears, her son Woodrow moves in with his grandparents, right next door to his cousin Gypsy and her family. Over the course of their sixth grade school year, the two...Retail: $8.99
- Shakespeare's SecretWhen sixth grade Hero (a girl named for a character in Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing) moves to a new town, her elderly neighbor tells her of a missing diamond, and Hero sets out to find it, even...Retail: $8.99
- Fish in a TreeAlly struggles in school, but because of frequent moves (dad is military), no one picks up on it. The author is dyslexic, and writes from a place of deep empathy for her dyslexic main character. Great...Retail: $8.99
- Half a ChanceWhen Lucy moves to a lakeside house in New Hampshire, her photographer father leaves for a summer assignment. He'll judge a photography contest for youth in a few months, and Lucy wants to win. As the...Retail: $7.99
- Code TalkerFrom Navajo education, to developing and learning the code, and the Pacific Theater of WWII: Guam, Iwo Jima, Okinawa. Deals with hard things in a sensitive and appropriate way. Age appropriate, informative,...Retail: $9.99
- EchoNewbery Honor. Three dark periods in history: a Pennsylvania boy during the Great Depression, a German boy during the rise of Nazi Germany, and a California girl during World War II. Their stories converge...Retail: $19.99
- The Mozart SeasonA talented young musician spends her summer practicing a Mozart concerto for a competition. Luminous.Retail: $12.99
- SoarWhen baseball-loving Jeremiah turns to coaching in a new town, he has to contend with a scandal. Can his cheerful, can-do attitude affect an entire town? A beautiful story of resilience.Retail: $8.99
- National Geographic Book of Nature PoetryGorgeous, gorgeous collection. Stunning nature poetry paired with superb National Geographic photography. Don't miss this one.Retail: $24.99
- The Watsons Go to Birmingham—1963Celebrate the 25th anniversary of the Newbery and Coretta Scott King Honoree about an unforgettable family on a road-trip during one of the most important times in the civil rights movement.Retail: $8.99
- WhittingtonThis is an unforgettable tale about the healing, transcendent power of storytelling, and how learning to read saves one little boy.Retail: $7.99
- Our Only May AmeliaInspired by diaries of a real person, this book chronicles the adventures of a young girl growing up in Washington in 1899.Retail: $9.99
- Which None Can ShutSee the diverse, creative, unexpected, and thrilling ways God is reaching the author's Muslim neighbors with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. An unprecedented number of Muslims are becoming followers of Jesus....Retail: $15.99
- Outlaws of SherwoodRobin is an apprentice forester unjustly cast out of society. But this creates opportunity for a few stubborn Saxons to gather in secret under Robin's leadership and strike back against the arrogance...Retail: $15.00
- A Christmas CarolThe classic story of Ebenezer Scrooge's transformation from a miserable man who hates to one who shares in Tiny Tim's joyful exclamation, "God bless us every one." A story the author, Charles Dickens,...Retail: $5.99
- Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. HydeGood Dr. Jekyll is transformed into evil Mr. Hyde by means of an addictive drug. He finds himself more and more inextricably drawn into evil. A parable for our times written by author Robert Louis Stevenson.Retail: $7.95
- Enchantress from the StarsOn a mission to a medieval planet, Elana becomes the key to a daring plan to thwart an invasion. An intelligent, thoughtful work that will stimulate as it entertains. A moving 9th grade reading level...Retail: $8.99
- The Gammage CupA few citizens of an imaginary village dare to question some long-held but false beliefs in the community...and are ostracized as a result. Thought-provoking but easy to read.Retail: $8.99
- Going SoloOne of the 20th century's best-loved authors tells his personal story of "going solo" — striking out on his own in his first job (in East Africa!), flying combat for the RAF in WWII . . .and returning...Retail: $7.99
- Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMHMrs. Frisby, a widowed mouse, must move her family or face death. Unfortunately, her son Timothy is ill and can't be moved. She seeks help from the brilliant rats of NIMH. The solution in the "Mrs. Frisby...Retail: $8.99
- Pictures of Hollis WoodsHollis Woods, an artistic foster child, dreams of having a family. And she nearly gets her wish thanks to the Regans who take her in for a summer.Retail: $7.99
- Treasure IslandThe "Treasure Island" novel by Robert Louis Stevenson is a high seas adventure has a group of treasure seekers following a treasure map to a distant island. Full of piracy and treachery, this book is...Retail: $4.95
- The ThiefNewbery Medal. After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, his chance of escape looks slim. Then the king's scholar summons him for an impossible taskÃ¢â‚¬â€_x009d_and then to reach...Retail: $9.99
- The Westing GameThe only mystery story ever to win the Newbery Medal! Sixteen players are possible heirs to Sam Westing's fortune . . . and all of them are suspects in the case of his curious demise. The one who discovers...Retail: $7.99
- The GiverNewbery Medal. In a nameless Utopian community in a future time, everything is under control. There is no war or fear of pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the community. When...Retail: $9.99
- The Teacher's Funeral"If your teacher has to die, August isn't a bad time of year for it." Russell Culver is fifteen in 1904, and he's raring to leave his tiny Indiana farm town for the endless sky of the Dakotas. School...Retail: $8.99
- The Phantom TollboothClassic story, in the Alice in Wonderland tradition of word-play and logical conundrum, about a bored young man who discovers life is far from dull if you just put your mind to it.Retail: $8.99
- The Wolves of Willoughby ChaseWolves without and a wicked governess within lead two English girls, Bonnie and Sylvia, to many spine-tingling adventures. Suspenseful. Fun!Retail: $6.99
- Everything on a WaffleNewbery Honor. When Primrose's parents apparently perish at sea, she goes to live with her eccentric Uncle Jack. A delicious story about a small town, living a life of passion, and taking what comes....Retail: $7.99
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
Take up to one year to use your curriculum. If you don’t love it, return it! Complete details here.