We are looking for photos of all types:
Flat lays for the blog
Photos of your homeschool the people and the paraphernalia (science kits, language arts workbooks, etc.)
Photos and stories of your family in both landscape and portrait (horizontal and vertical) orientation.
How to Submit:
Simply post your favorite photos with #sonlightstories on your favorite social media platform and we'll contact you if we’d like to use your photo.
Most lucrative method:
In order to be eligible for the annual catalog cover contest, submit a photo here and a story or testimonial about Sonlight. The ultimate Sonlight prize, of course, comes when your family loves learning together. But an additional reward is in store for the three families who can capture that experience and win the photo contest!
First prize: $500 Sonlight gift certificate, and featured on the cover of the catalog!
Winners for the next year’s contest are announced in June; thus, the 2019 winner is announced in June 2018.
The photos and captions you submit may appear in our catalog, on our website, or in other promotional material Sonlight may choose to create. Published photos will be accompanied by captions we write based on the information you provide us.
Submit as many photos as you like. If you submit multiple photos, you may repeat your comments if necessary, but don't leave those fields blank!
When you upload your photo, you may see only a fraction of it. That's okay. That means it's probably a high enough resolution for us to use, and we should have your full photo.
Past Catalog Covers
That's really all you need to know, but here are additional tips, for the curious.
- The catalog cover is in portrait (vertical) mode, but sometimes we have cropped a landscape (horizontal) photo to make it fit. Submit all the good photos you have!
- Catalog cover photos are well focused, with a range of lights and darks. Photos of just a couple people work better than photos of large groups.
- There are a few topics that are always underrepresented: older students (say, 13 years or older); moms with their children; dads enjoying Sonlight with their children; parents using their Instructor's Guide; single parents who are teaching their children; people with physical or mental challenges; photos that show international flavor; emotionally grabbing moments that happen in the midst of discovering something new; Science experiments; Language Arts work. If you have a photo of one of these—send it along!
- Specificity rules.
- This is not specific: "Sonlight is great! We love it so much and it's perfect for us!"
- This is more specific: "With Sonlight, my reluctant reader fell in love with stories and picked up a book for the first time on his own."
- This is not specific: "This photo shows us as a museum with Civil War uniforms."
- This is more specific: "Sonlight makes learning come alive. When we visited a Civil War Museum, my kids knew the context and reasons for the war from studying History / Bible / Literature E. They remembered the biographies they read and connected them to what they saw in the museum."
- Feel free to describe what is happening in the picture, but also share the "big picture" of how Sonlight fits into your overall homeschool experience.
Digital or Print Photos?
We prefer to receive digital photographs because they are much easier to handle. To submit a digital photograph, simply click here to submit a photo.
If you have photo prints you would like us to consider, please send them to:
Catalog Photos & Quotes
Sonlight Curriculum, Ltd.
8042 South Grant Way
Littleton, CO 80122-2705
Please remember to include a completed and signed Photo Submission Agreement (PDF) with any physical photos you mail to us, along with your full name, address, phone, and email.
Also, please include with your "Sonlight story" comments: the names and ages of your children, information on what Sonlight program(s) each child is using this year, the length of time you've used Sonlight as a family, and the names of any Sonlight products identified in your photo. Don't forget to also include any other info that might help others see the value of Sonlight as a part of your life.
Please note: We cannot return any photos you send to us by mail.
If you are submitting your photo online, you do not need to send us a copy of the Photo Submission Agreement. When you go to submit a digital photo, we will ask you to agree to our Photograph Submission Agreement.
Note: in the following examples, we only have a single model, so we are completely missing the close family togetherness conveyed by many of the best photo submissions. We love pictures of kids and families learning together. Click on each picture to see a larger version.
Good Photo Example:
This is the best all around photo of our samples. The lighting is soft, so you don't see any glare, other than those few spots in the lower left. There is plenty of room to crop, which means we can adjust it to fit our space. The subject is the focus and in focus, and she looks genuinely happy. We could use this photo anywhere.
Poor Photo Examples:
While this is an example of doing school right, on the couch, she doesn't look like she's "loving it." Also, the photo is slightly out of focus meaning we would have to make it very small so the focus problem wouldn't show. Otherwise, the color is nice, and seeing the title of a familiar Sonlight book is great.
While this one has beautiful colors, it's not a great example. If possible, when shooting inside, try not to have a window at your subject's back. It will most likely appear "blown out" as it does here.