Pre-Kindergarten Package with Readers
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
Take up to one year to use your curriculum. If you don’t love it, return it! Complete details here.
Nurture a love of learning for a lifetime with Sonlight’s Christian pre-kindergarten homeschool program.
Sonlight's Pre-Kindergarten program bridges the gap between the delightful picture books of Sonlight's Preschool program, and the early chapter books (some with minimal illustrations) and early academics of Sonlight K.
Pre-K starts to expand your children's knowledge of the larger world using a few dozen books (some of which will become favorites that you'll read again and again). These entertaining stories from around the globe will introduce your children to the world beyond your neighborhood.
You'll build meaningful relationships and delightful memories with your children. You'll teach alphabet sounds and verbal skills, and work through four sequential workbooks dedicated to reading readiness, so your children will be ready for phonics next year. You'll give your children a basic understanding of the physical world around them through fundamental science concepts and prepare your children with broad foundations in Bible, art, and history. Your children will develop key life skills, both cognitive and developmental—with new hands-on Montessori-type materials and activities all designed to address the developmental needs of young children in a fun, relaxed, and interactive environment.
Your children will start to come to you for wisdom and guidance. They'll see that learning is fun, as they start down the path of a lifetime of learning.
In this 36-week program (done 4 days a week), you'll teach with confidence as you follow along with your complete lesson plans, materials, and teaching tips.
Estimated daily time for Exploring God's World: Student and Parent: 20 mins to 1.5 hrs.
Here’s a look at what the Sonlight Pre-K program includes:
Teach like a pro! The Instructor's Guide schedules all the stories, poems, and hands-on activities included in this program to be done 4 days a week. This is your guide to complete lesson plans, materials, activities and teaching tips for this 36-week program. Just follow along!
In addition to the scheduled books and activities, you’ll also find developmentally appropriate, easy, creative hands-on activities connected with many of the stories, so you can extend your learning into daily life and play.
With the Sonlight Instructor's Guide, you can prepare a thoughtful learning environment for optimal exploration.
Note: The included Instructor's Guide is loose-leaf, 3-hole punched, and shrink wrapped. We recommend adding a small binder with tabs to organize your materials.
Pre-K includes many fiction titles, nicely illustrated, but the number of words per page increases significantly. And rather than compilations of picture books, the Pre-K program includes collections of short stories, plus a developmentally appropriate title that teaches your child more than 1,000 everyday words in Spanish.
But overall, the emphasis shifts away from only picture book pleasure, as in Preschool, into gentle teaching. If Preschool encourages imagination, Pre-K both continues the imaginative literature and starts to expand your children's knowledge of the real world.
For example, Peter Spier's oversized book People illustrates the incredible variety around the globe. He has a half-page simply showing profiles of noses; a two-page spread on celebrations around the world; a page of hairstyles; two pages of hobbies. In Things People Do, cute illustrations and funny names ("Les Chatter" the teacher, and "Honor Toze" the dancer) introduce a range of real jobs.
Children also start to learn History. How to express the concept of time? In Then and Now, illustrations show the same scene, 1 year apart: a farm, a grocery, a living room, a bedroom. Find the differences! There are, as in all Sonlight programs, stories. This one includes several powerful missionary biographies – true stories of God at work in the world.
And the Pre-K Science books are delightful. The Year at Maple Hill Farm offers one look at the months of the year, centered around farm animals. One chapter in The Berenstain Bears' Big Book of Science and Nature also has an almanac, this one a rhyming look at what the four seasons bring. Another chapter talks about three simple machines (the lever, the wedge, and the wheel). In How Do You Lift a Lion?, the author talks about levers, wheels, and pulleys. One science book describes things ever smaller, down to subatomic particles. Another describes things ever larger, up to galaxies and the universe.
Pre-K also includes two stellar books to start introducing the humanities to your children. One is an oversized art book. Look at the famous paintings and see what you can find. Is there one that you like more? Is it different for your children? The other is a book of poetry, beautifully illustrated by collage artist (and popular children's book writer) Eric Carle. It's a feast for the ears and the eyes.
Grade K Readers/Language Arts
The Grade K Readers package is designed for children who are ready to learn the alphabet. Use Sonlight's Reading Assessment to see if the kindergarten reading level is the right level for your child.
Includes Fun Tales—the best set of beginning readers that focuses on consonant-vowel-consonant words (CVC). Children read the first book after they have learned six letters. After that, as they learn a letter, they read the next book.
The included Language Arts K Instructor’s Guide coordinates with those readers and gives you everything you need to teach your children the alphabet and letter sounds. Including a full schedule, teaching helps, student reading activities, practice sheets, parent instructions, answers, definitions and much more.
Subjects include phonics, vocabulary development, creative expression and writing mechanics. Also schedules optional workbooks available in the Additional Items tab above.
Children learn best by doing so we've selected tactile materials that are especially effective for reinforcing pre-writing, pre-reading, and pre-math skills. The new pre-kindergarten program includes Montessori-type materials and activities that are hands-on, self-paced, and confidence-building. The included pre-kindergarten supply kit includes an assortment of hands-on learning materials in one convenient, sturdy cardboard box. This preschool supply kit includes:
- Math Beads (45 singles, 10 tens): Includes 45 single pony beads in yellow and 10 bead bars. Each bead bar has 10 yellow pony beads on a stiff wire.
- Sensory Capital Letters: 26 tactile capital print letters with textured surface
- Sensory Number Cards 11-30: 20 tactile numbers (11-30) with textured surface
- Teen Board & Number Tiles: Includes one heavy cardstock Teen Board, ten single-digit number tiles with the numerals 0-9, and three double-digit number tiles with the numerals 10, 20, and 30
In addition to the 26 splendid books and carefully sequenced hands-on learning activities, you'll also receive four carefully sequenced workbooks that help your children build motor skills (useful for handwriting), visual skills (useful for letter recognition and reading), auditory skills (important for following directions and listening to great books), and comprehension (understanding those great books).
Sonlight’s pre-k program embraces a nurturing learning environment where you create fond memories, build meaningful and intimate relationships, and prepare your children for a lifetime of learning... all while developing your children's reading readiness, cognitive and developmental skills.
Here are some of the things your children will learn:
- Build independence and self-confidence, while also reinforcing fine motor coordination through daily practical life skills. Some of these skills include washing dishes, table manners, preparing simple foods, and folding laundry.
- Develop an understanding of the quantities and numerals from 1-30.
- Develop spatial reasoning and fine motor skills through hands-on play.
- Introduce how to write capital letters and their sounds.
- Build fine motor skills by tracing shapes and letters, using scissors, and sorting.
- Begin learning a foreign language. Learn hundreds of Spanish words you can use throughout your day.
- Explore praise and worship songs that coordinate with the Bible stories. Songs that make you move!
- Introduce God's wonderful world and the many interesting animals, events, and environments. Visit a farm throughout the year to experience the different seasons. Answer questions like, What's under the sea? What is the smallest and biggest thing on earth? What is in the middle of the earth?
- And so much more.
Together, the pieces of pre-k add up to a wonderful program that helps you give your children what they need to grow. Finish pre-k with great memories, a closer relationship with your children, significant improvements in foundational skills, and an eagerness for learning that will continue to grow in the Sonlight years ahead.
Please Note: While a complete package, Sonlight's Pre-K package does not qualify as an All-Subjects Package. This package does not qualify for the 20% All-Subjects Package discount and cannot be personalized. This package does qualify for the History / Bible / Literature 15% discount.
- Language Arts K Instructor's Guide - 4 DayTeach your children with confidence! This Instructor's Guide fully equips you to teach Language Arts for Grade K Readers. Includes schedule, student activity sheets, instructions for multi-sensory approaches...Retail: $59.00
- Pre-K Instructor's GuideThese Pre-Kindergarten lesson plans include the following resources for teaching all Sonlight Pre-K subjects: full Schedule; Teaching Helps; memory exercises, nursery rhymes, poems, songs, and activities;...Retail: $37.00
- 101 Favorite Stories from the BibleIt's harder than you might guess to find a children's Bible that tells the stories accurately, respectfully, and succinctly. This one does.Retail: $14.99
- PeopleA meditative book illustrating the broad diversity of people in the world today. Written and illustrated by award-winning children's author-artist Peter Spier. Full-color illustrations.Retail: $10.36
- Stories from AfricaSix stories of God's faithfulness to His people in Africa.Retail: $14.00
- Things People DoMostly serious but sometimes lighthearted look at various jobs--from farmer to service station owner, newspaper reporter to veterinarian. Fascinating! In Usborne's inimitable style.Retail: $14.99
- The Gods Must be AngryTrue story about a Thai boy who accidentally knocks the head off his family's Happy Idol. An innocent question, "Why can't the idols heal themselves?" leads to a spiritual awakening.Retail: $5.99
- Then and NowSimple text provides discussion starters to help children understand historical time, a concept difficult to grasp.Retail: $5.99
- New Toes for TiaStory of a Thai child who loses her toes to an accident. How she gets new toes. Perfect "worldview" book for little ones!Retail: $5.95
- My First Picture DictionaryMy First Picture Dictionary has over 500 words in alphabetical order with a simple definition and clear, full-color illustrations.Retail: $5.99
- BINGO MarkersRequired Resource for Language Arts Grades K-1. Set of 50 plastic markers for use with both Alphabet Sounds BINGO and Letter & Word BINGO.Retail: $3.00
- Alphabet Sounds BINGO CardsExtra Alphabet Sounds BINGO cards.Retail: $5.00
- Go A to Z!A Sonlight exclusive Go Fish!-style card game to help students learn the basic sounds of the letters in the English alphabet.Retail: $5.00
- American Tall TalesFour classic American stories, "Tall"--not because of the height of the characters, but because the truth gets stretched. Storyteller Jim Weiss tells of Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, Pecos Bill, and...Retail: $14.95
- The Lion Storyteller Bedtime BookForty folk tales from around the world including non-Western sources! A delight.Retail: $19.99
- Milly-Molly-Mandy Story BookA family staple since 1928. This collection of 21 classic adventures, complete with original art by the author, is a "window to a simpler time," and still delights all ages.Retail: $13.99
- Stories from Around the WorldTraditional stories from around the world help kids develop appreciation for many cultures. Brave heroes and heroines, unusual and faithful creatures, and a few versions of "how it all began."Retail: $17.99
- Eric Carle's Animals AnimalsIn this riveting volume, Eric Carle's wonderfully colorful collages celebrate the diversity of the earth's animals. Punctuated by poems and lyrics from distinguished sources as diverse as the Bible, Shakespeare,...Retail: $10.99
- Children's Book of VirtuesLavishly illustrated children's edition of the national bestseller of the same title.Retail: $28.00
- A Child's Book of ArtMostly famous, but some not-so-famous, works of art arranged in thematic patterns for young children. From medieval to modern, Western and non-Western pieces. Gorgeous and fun. "A book to grow up with."Retail: $19.99
- Uncle Wiggily's Story BookUncle Wiggily is everyone's favorite rabbit--he's funny, kind, and always comes up with a happy solution to any small problem. All children can relate to the experiences described in this amusing collection.Retail: $17.99
- First Thousand Words in SpanishThis bright and amusing book provides a wealth of vocabulary-building opportunities for beginner Spanish learners of all ages.Retail: $12.99
- Fun TalesA set of 27 reading development booklets geared to the letters as learned. Stored in a handy slip cover box. Includes zany kid-friendly illustrations.Retail: $24.00
- Developing the Early Learner, Volume IVery easy to use, this first volume of four carefully sequenced workbooks helps you discover your children's learning strengths and weaknesses.Retail: $14.49
- Developing the Early Learner, Volume IIVery easy to use, this second volume of four carefully sequenced workbooks helps you discover your children's learning strengths and weaknesses.Retail: $14.49
- Developing the Early Learner, Volume IIIVery easy to use, this third volume of four carefully sequenced workbooks helps you discover your children's learning strengths and weaknesses.Retail: $14.49
- Developing the Early Learner, Volume IVVery easy to use, this fourth volume of four carefully sequenced workbooks helps you discover your children's learning strengths and weaknesses.Retail: $14.49
- Supply Kit for Pre-KindergartenThis Pre-Kindergarten supply kit includes the needed supplies to complete the activities in the Sonlight Pre-K Instructor's Guide.Retail: $52.00
- Is a Blue Whale the Biggest Thing There Is?Compare sizes of very big things, from the world's largest living creature to mountains, planets and more. Charming, full-color art brightens every page.Retail: $7.99
- What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew?Your children discover things very much smaller than they, from the mouse-like shrew to microscopic particles, and compare their sizes.Retail: $8.99
- How Do You Lift a Lion?Learn how three simple machines—the lever, pulley, and wheel—make big jobs (like delivering baboons to a treehouse party) easier. Illustrations are colorful and laugh-out-loud funny.Retail: $8.99
- How to Dig a Hole to the Other Side of the WorldFind soft ground and start digging. 8,000 miles later, you'll have many amazing discoveries to share! Fun way to explore what's in the ground beneath our feet.Retail: $8.99
- Why Do Tigers Have Stripes?Colorful introduction to animals' amazing defense mechanisms.Retail: $5.99
- What's Under the Sea?A colorful look at fish, whales, reefs, the seabed ....Retail: $5.99
- The Berenstain Bears' Big Book of Science and NatureAnthology of The Berenstain Bears' Almanac (seasons, weather, and astronomy), Nature Guide (plants, animals, and earth science), and Science Fair (machines, matter, and energy).Retail: $14.99
- The Year at Maple Hill FarmWatch the seasons change on an upstate New York farm. Observe how they affect the natural world.Retail: $9.99
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
Take up to one year to use your curriculum. If you don’t love it, return it! Complete details here.