Intro to the World: Cultures
YOUNG ADVENTURERS: EXPLORE GOD'S BIG WORLD!
Sonlight's History / Bible / Literature A sets the stage for future learning with its gentle introduction to formal academics. Your children develop a big-picture understanding that past civilizations existed and that people live differently throughout the world. Sonlight K is an introduction to the world. Like a sample platter, you'll get a taste of different world cultures and different periods in World History. And so, when you return to the Romans and Vikings in years to come, your children will have a mental peg already in place when they learn the new information. The knowledge you'll gain this year builds a framework for future in-depth history study.
This 36-week homeschool program also helps children start to see past themselves. Not everyone lives like they do! As a result, they are able to look at situations from another person's point of view and to relate to others who are different from them. They also develop a healthy curiosity about the world around them.
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
Take up to one year to use your curriculum. If you don’t love it, return it! Complete details here.
Young adventurers: Explore God's big world!
Sonlight A sets the stage for future learning with its gentle introduction to formal academics. Your children develop a big-picture understanding that past civilizations existed and that people live differently throughout the world. Sonlight K is an introduction to the world. Like a sample platter, you'll get a taste of different world cultures and different periods in World History. And so, when you return to the Romans and Vikings in years to come, your children will have a mental peg already in place when they learn the new information. The knowledge you'll gain this year builds a framework for future in-depth history study.
This 36-week program also helps children start to see past themselves. Not everyone lives like they do! As a result, they are able to look at situations from another person's point of view and to relate to others who are different from them. They also develop a healthy curiosity about the world around them.
Your children won't be little forever, and this program allows you to enjoy this year together. From hands-on activities to stories they'll remember their entire lives, get ready for lots of laughs and hugs. In Sonlight K, you'll:
- Inspire a love of learning, gain a sense of history and explore far-off places.
- Guide your children confidently each day: you get lesson plans, teaching tips and materials for the entire year.
- Trek with missionaries, visit ancient Egypt and travel through jungles, America, Imperial China ... and more!
- Devour fun historical fiction, stirring true stories and many children's classics.
- Purchase this History / Bible / Literature package and you'll get free shipping (lower 48), a one-year guarantee and other perks.
Estimated daily time for Intro to the World: Cultures plus your other subjects: Student: 1.5-2 hrs | Parent: 1-1.5 hrs
Overview of the History
In Sonlight K, two books tie the year's studies together. Both The Usborne Children's Encyclopedia and Living Long Ago feature simple text and excellent illustrations. You get brief, picture-filled overviews of key civilizations, like the Roman Empire and the Vikings. Explore the way people ate, dressed and lived through the centuries.
The History also includes several wonderful, age-appropriate missionary biographies to learn first-hand how the good news of Jesus changes people and cultures.
This program also includes a wonderful children's Bible. When you read Egermeier's Bible Story Book to your children, they will beg you to "read one more chapter!"
Overview of the Literature
You'll enjoy more than a dozen of the best children's books on the planet, books carefully selected from the tens of the thousands published each year.
The Read-Alouds in History / Bible / Literature K are a tremendous treat! Seventeen marvelous books in the 4-Day program, plus four additional titles in 5-Day (which are truly most excellent; even if you opt for the 4-Day program, these four are well worth adding to your order).
Enjoy animal books and adventure books, and books about life in interesting places. Beautifully written, age appropriate, appealing illustrations, humorous plots—this is a program to celebrate, with books the team has carefully curated over many years. (Early elementary is one of the hardest ages to find good books—children still have limited vocabulary and prefer short chapters).
Grade 1 Readers
Designed for children who know the 26 basic letter sounds (only short vowels), this program begins with consonant-vowel-consonant (CVC) words and moves on to long vowel sounds and sight words.
Much of the year is spent on the three I Can Read It! books. In the beginning, one day's reading has perhaps ten simple sentences with a few words in each. By the end, there are more sentences, and the sentences are far more complex.
When the students are done with this series, there are additional easy readers, including the 236-different words book The Cat in the Hat (using the rollicking poetic rhythm anapestic tetrameter, no less!) and Little Bear, with not only delightful illustrations but a text that is emotionally moving far beyond the few words it employs.
A delightful collection of early readers.
Click here learn more about Readers.
- Grade 1 Readers Schedule/Study Guide - 4 DayIncludes the daily schedule and Study Guide.Retail: $15.00
- Create-A-CalendarSixteen-month calendar covers your entire school year and teaches kids about the calendar. Learn the days, weeks and months of the year.Retail: $11.19
- Sonlight K Instructor's Guide - 4 DayTeach with confidence. The Sonlight K History / Bible / Literature Instructor's Guide shows you how.Retail: $100.00
- Egermeier's Bible Story BookThe Egermeier's Bible Story book is a complete narration from Genesis to Revelation for young and old.Retail: $16.99
- Sing the Word: From A to Z CDA great mnemonic aid: the entire set of 26 Scripture verses in the Bible A Memory program set to diverse musical styles on CD.Retail: $15.95
- Living Long AgoFrom ancient Egypt to the early part of this century: satisfy or spark your child's curiosity about how people used to dress, travel, eat and live.Retail: $14.99
- Usborne Internet-Linked Children's EncyclopediaIntroduces your child to world geography, geology, cultures, weather, simple physics (light, levers, etc.) and much more. Fun pictures throughout.Retail: $15.99
- Out of DarknessA biography of Louis Braille. From his childhood and time at the Royal Institute for Blind Youth in Paris, through the latter years of his life as he persevered until the alphabet he developed gained...Retail: $9.99
- Game On in Ancient GreeceSiblings end up at the inception of the ancient Greek Olympics. The comic book style invites repeated reading. Excellent content and enjoyable.Retail: $11.99
- The Good News Must Go OutMama Laird served as a missionary in the Central African Republic for decades, and saw great moves to God. One dear follower was beaten by drunks until he almost died, but 300 or so people came to his...Retail: $8.99
- Return of the White BookGod prepared the way for the Karen people of Burma to come to know him. When George Boardman and Adoniram Judson arrived, the Burmese were not terribly interested, but the Karen were desperately ready....Retail: $8.99
- Timeline Figures - KOver 40 Timeline Figures for Sonlight K on self-adhesive heavy card stock. Just cut them out, color and stick them in your Timeline Book.Retail: $12.00
- The Llama Who Had No PajamaFrom silly to contemplative, a satisfying collection of 100 favorite poems. Young readers of all levels will eat this up, and come back for more. Delightfully illustrated.Retail: $8.99
- Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You BookA series of stories featuring Huckle, Lowly, Pig Will, Pig Won't, and other characters who demonstrate the good will generated by nice manners. Zany pictures and stories help reinforce manners lessons.Retail: $4.99
- My Father's DragonA delightful story about a boy who rescues a sweet young dragon from her enemies through the judicious use of the unlikely items he has stored in his knapsack.Retail: $7.95
- Dolphin AdventureEighty feet below the ocean's surface, Wayne Grover encounters three dolphins, one with a large fish hook stuck in his back.Retail: $5.99
- A Grain of RiceA humble farmer wants to marry the Emperor's daughter . . . and succeeds because of his wisdom.Retail: $7.99
- The Boxcar ChildrenThe classic Gertrude Chandler Warner book about four orphans who have to fend for themselves. Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny are orphans. Determined to make it on their own, they set out to find a safe...Retail: $7.99
- Dolphin TreasureSequel to Dolphin Adventure. Wayne is searching for buried treasure that sunk with a Spanish galleon off the Florida coast when a storm arises and his dolphin friend comes to his rescue.Retail: $6.99
- Little House in the Big WoodsIn the late 1870's, wolves, panthers and bears roam the deep Wisconsin woods. In those same woods, Laura lives with Pa and Ma, and her sisters, Mary and Baby Carrie, in a snug little house built of logs....Retail: $8.99
- Anna HibiscusLearn all about a different culture while sharing Anna's experiences in Africa with her family. Short stories perfect for younger children. Atinuke.Retail: $7.99
- Adventures of a South Pole PigFlora the pig is an adventurer! Join her as she sets her heart on becoming a sled dog (well, a sled pig) and takes an exhilarating--and dangerous--trip aboard a ship to Antartica. Chris Kurtz.Retail: $7.99
- The Silver BalloonA captivating story about a young boy who acquires a pen pal in an unusual way. Susan Bonners.Retail: $9.99
- The World According to HumphreyExperience the world through the eyes of a young hamster. Humphrey spends the week in a classroom, and each weekend travels to the home of a different student. A great story about encouraging others....Retail: $7.99
- Just DanceA memorable tale about a young girl facing a seemingly boring summer on her family's farm. An intriguing look at small town life. Patricia Mclachlan.Retail: $7.99
- Roxie and the HooligansThe story of Roxie, a little girl with a big imagination. She knows how to handle all situations from reading her books, but has to put her wits and adventurous spirit to work to outsmart some school...Retail: $7.99
- The Missing Mummy (A to Z Mysteries)Help Dink, Josh, and Ruth Rose solve mysteries from A to Z!Retail: $5.99
- Heartwood Hotel: A True HomeThis delightfully enticing start of a new chapter book series tells a tale of friendship, courage, and community, with exquisite black-and-white illustrations throughout. The reader will become involved...Retail: $5.99
- Franklin Endicott and the Third KeyThe latest tale from Deckawoo Drive—and New York Times best-selling creators Kate DiCamillo and Chris Van Dusen—is a balm for young worrywarts facing the unknown.Retail: $15.99
- FeelingsA classic picture book that is a great way to explore feelings with kids. Sometimes it's hard for children to understand or explain their feelings. This book encourages dialogue about emotions. Aliki.Retail: $7.99
- Put Me in the ZooPut Me in the Zoo by Robert Lopshire is an "I Can Read It Myself" book about an animal full of amazing tricks who wants to join the zoo.Retail: $9.99
- One Fish, Two Fish...What can we say about this book? One of the master's best!Retail: $9.99
- A Fly Went ByA boy watches a fly flee from a frog, but the frog isn't chasing the fly; rather, the frog flees from the cat... and so it goes.Retail: $9.99
- The Cat in the HatThe book that made Seuss famous.Retail: $9.99
- Green Eggs and Ham"Try it . . . you might like it" is the theme of this delightful Dr. Seuss classic.Retail: $9.99
- A Big Ball of StringImagine all the amazing things you could do if only you had a huge ball of string!Retail: $9.99
- The Best TrickA Sonlight exclusive, beginning chapter book developed by a homeschooling mom.Retail: $6.00
- I Can Read It! Book 1I Can Read It Book 1 of the series. The I Can Read It! stories engage your child with real plot, action, and humor. Each story moves your child through a natural progression of phonetic and spelling patterns.Retail: $12.00
- I Can Read It! Book 2Book 2 of the I Can Read It series. The I Can Read It! stories engage your child with real plot, action, and humor. Each story moves your child through a natural progression of phonetic and spelling patterns.Retail: $12.00
- I Can Read It! Book 3Book 3 of the I Can Read It series. The I Can Read It! stories engage your child with real plot, action, and humor. Each story moves your child through a natural progression of phonetic and spelling patterns.Retail: $12.00
- I Can Read It! Word ListsBook 4 of the I Can Read It series. This fourth volume in the series contains word lists and shows spelling patterns. Part of the I Can Read It series.Retail: $12.00
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
Take up to one year to use your curriculum. If you don’t love it, return it! Complete details here.