Exploring American History
YOUNG ADVENTURERS: DISCOVER AMERICA'S HISTORY
Sonlight A is a delightful, age-appropriate first grade American History program, done in Sonlight's signature style. In this 36-week program, you'll give your students their first taste of American history. This program will inspire a love of learning as you explore America's unique history.
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
Take up to one year to use your curriculum. If you don’t love it, return it! Complete details here.
Young adventurers: Discover America's history
The History / Bible / Literature program Sonlighters have been wishing for—a delightful, age-appropriate first grade American History program, done in Sonlight's signature style. Available in 4- or 5-Day!
In this 36-week program, you'll give your students their first taste of American history.
Sonlight A shares the stories of key events and important people in American history. You'll encounter key statesmen and meet the four presidents on Mount Rushmore. You'll cover the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, "The Star-Spangled Banner" (the song and the flag itself), and much more.
You won't find another program like this on the market. It's unique. And fascinating and fun!
In Sonlight A, you'll:
- Inspire a love of learning as you explore America's unique history.
- Read stories of the men and women, artists and presidents, plus a computer programmer, an enslaved potter, a determined dog, a joyful puppeteer—more than three score short biographies.
- Feast on more than two dozen of the best children's books on the planet, carefully selected from the tens of thousands published each year.
- Guide your children confidently each day: you get lesson plans, teaching tips and materials for the entire year.
- Purchase this History / Bible / Literature package and you'll get free shipping (lower 48), a one-year guarantee and other perks.
Estimated daily time for Exploring American History plus your other subjects: Student: 1.5-2 hrs | Parent: 1-1.5 hrs
Overview of the Bible
The Bible portion of the program includes an album of memory songs and The One Year Bible for Children, an excellent overview of the stories of the Scriptures.
The included Sing the Word CD helps you hide God's Word in your heart with memorization exercises. This CD (also includes the digital version), scheduled in the Sonlight A Instructor's Guide, wonderfully complements the rest of the Bible curriculum included in Exploring American History.
Overview of the History
In Sonlight A, our new History spine ties the year's studies together. The sixty chapters in the two-volume Heroes and Happenings introduces children to a wide range of people and events from American History. Some of them are well known, like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Some are far more obscure, like Dave the Potter, an enslaved African American who inscribed rhymes on his pots at a time when the enslaved were forbidden from learning to read, or Temple Grandin, the autistic professor who transformed how people manage cattle.
Besides this foundational two-volume text, the 4-Day History program includes timeline figures and seven additional books (and the 5-Day program adds three more!). Enjoy a deeper dive into the Revolutionary War, Westward Expansion, the time of the Pilgrims, and more.
You'll learn the stories of key events and important people in American history. In these enthralling books, lavish with illustrations and maps, You'll read a bit from the four big wars (Revolutionary, Civil, WWI, WWII), and the four presidents on Mount Rushmore. You'll cover the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the American flag, "The Star-Spangled Banner," and the Statue of Liberty.
You'll learn about events in almost every one of the 50 states. You'll learn about people from a range of religions and ethnicities, with diverse skin colors and contributions.
As a complete program, this history program is stunning.
Overview of the Literature
The Read-Alouds this year are stellar. These books naturally lead to conversations – about faith, about character, about relationships. These books present worthy heroes who display courage and honesty, who work hard, who love their families, and who do the right thing.
There are a range of fiction books. You'll read one set in the Appalachian Mountains, one in a lighthouse at Christmas, and one in the streets of Paris.
And there is a wonderful variety of fascinating nonfiction: a biography of Johnny Appleseed, born in New England in 1774. There is one book on nurses who served in Appalachia in the 1920s, and one set in France during WWII.
Grade 3 Readers
The Grade 3 Readers package is ideal for children who read long-vowel, 5- and 6-letter words fluently but could still benefit from practice with more complex chapter books.
A collection of more than twenty early chapter books. One tells of a surprising technique to avoid a prairie fire. One thwarts pet kidnappers. Several tell of immigration and westward expansion. A book set in Russia, in Papua New Guinea, on a Viking ship, in a lighthouse, on a farm.
So many varied stories!
Click here to learn more about Readers.
- Grade 3 Readers: Schedule/Study Guide - 5 DayIncludes the daily schedule and Study Guide.Retail: $15.00
- Sonlight A Instructor's Guide - 5 DayTeach with confidence. The Sonlight K History / Bible / Literature Instructor's Guide shows you how.Retail: $100.00
- One Year Bible for ChildrenRead through the Bible in one year with this Children's Bible story book and devotional for young children. Complete with beautiful illustrations. Gilbert Beers.Retail: $17.99
- Sing the Word! Teach Me Your Paths CDA great mnemonic aid: the entire set of 28 Scripture verses in the Bible K Memory program (plus a bonus track!) set to diverse musical styles. Beautifully arranged for children's voices using orchestral...Retail: $15.99
- Mary on HorsebackThere are no hospitals or doctors in the Appalachian Mountains in the 1920s, so Mary Breckinridge, founds the Frontier Nursing Service to help those in need.Retail: $6.99
- Johnny Appleseed: The Story of a LegendThe real Johnny Appleseed was born John Chapman in 1774, in a small Massachusetts village. Discover his story through this wise and witty work. Learn how the apple tree-planting folk hero helped open...Retail: $8.99
- Timeline Figures AAll the Timeline Figures needed for Sonlight First Grade American History on self-adhesive heavy card stock. Just cut them out, color and stick them in your Timeline Book. Figures include Thomas Jefferson,...Retail: $14.00
- Granny Han's BreakfastWhen Granny Han went to her cupboard one morning, her cupboard was bare! Granny prayed for her food anyway, and before she knew it, a large and wonderful breakfast appeared before her eyes.Retail: $5.99
- Heroes and Happenings Vol. 1Introduce your kindergarten student to American History with this age-appropriate kindergarten history book. Volume 1. Amy Lykosh.Retail: $26.00
- Heroes and Happenings Vol. 2Learn about people and events throughout American History with this age-appropriate kindergarten history book. Volume 2. Amy Lykosh.Retail: $26.00
- Abandoned on the Wild FrontierYoung Peter is left alone on the frontier when his father is killed and his mother is kidnapped. The story of his life with a circuit-rider evangelist and his on-going search for his mother. Dave and...Retail: $7.99
- Maps and GlobesAn excellent introduction to maps and map reading for kindergarten. Large, full-color illustrations. Includes activities. Knowlton and Barton.Retail: $8.99
- George vs. GeorgeThere are two sides to every story! This wonderfully illustrated book shows both sides of the American Revolution through the eyes of George Washington and King George III. Rosalyn Schanzer.Retail: $6.95
- How We Crossed the WestBeautifully rendered folk-style illustrations help bring to life the story of Lewis and Clark. Descriptive text is taken from their historical journals. Rosalyn Schanzer.Retail: $7.95
- The Very First AmericansLearn all about the first Americans. Watercolor paintings depict the clothing, dwellings, art, tools, and other Native American artifacts. Ashrose and Waldman.Retail: $5.99
- The Amazing Impossible Erie CanalThe story of DeWitt Clinton, a young politician who has a dream to build a canal to connect the Hudson River with the Great Lakes. You won't want to miss this trip! Cheryl Harness.Retail: $7.99
- Three Young PilgrimsBased on the true story of the Allerton family. Experience life aboard the Mayflower followed by the first winter in the New World. Detailed paintings bring the pilgrim's first months to life, including...Retail: $7.99
- The New York ColonyA True Book: Thirteen Colonies series allows readers to experience what makes each of America's colonies distinctive and exceptional.Retail: $6.95
- Your Life as a Settler in Colonial AmericaDescribes the life of a settler in Colonial America, addressing work ethic and expectations, education, food, hygiene, dress, and slavery.Retail: $8.95
- Civil War on SundayCannon fire! That's what Jack and Annie hear when the Magic Tree House whisks them back to the time of the American Civil War.Retail: $6.99
- The Light at Tern RockRonnie loves living in the lighthouse, but the days go by, and the keeper doesn't return. A simple but pleasurable Christmas story for all ages.Retail: $7.99
- The Apple & the ArrowNewbery Honor. The legend of William Tell as told by his 12-year-old son.Retail: $9.99
- The Hundred DressesTwo normally sensitive girls repent of "making fun" of the poor girl in their class who says she has a hundred dresses.Retail: $8.99
- Twenty and TenTwenty school children hide ten Jewish children from the Nazis occupying France during World War II.Retail: $6.99
- In Grandma's AtticStories of a remarkable grandmother's childhood in midwest North America over 100 years ago. Bring the past alive as only a born storyteller could.Retail: $6.99
- The Family Under the BridgeSet in Paris, the story of an old hobo whose heart and life become entangled with a fatherless family in search of a home. Included in Sonlight A, this story begins with homelessness and ends with coming...Retail: $7.99
- Here's a PennyWherever Penny goes, he's sure to find adventure. He loses his overalls in a very sticky situation and searches for his new kittens only to find them dressed up in doll clothes.Retail: $7.99
- Adventures with WafflesThis adventure book is outstanding. A year in the life of two neighbors in Norway and their laugh-out-loud adventures. Cheery, sweet, good family story. Touches on grief, remembering, restoration. What...Retail: $7.99
- Astrid the UnstoppableA wonderful tale about friendship with no age boundaries.Retail: $7.99
- The Ordinary PrincessAlong with Wit, Charm, Health, and Courage, Princess Amy of Phantasmorania receives a special fairy christening gift: Ordinariness.Retail: $7.99
- The Berenstain Bears' Dollars and SenseA simple introduction to budgeting and the value of a dollar.Retail: $5.99
- The Kitchen MadonnaA young boy learns how to give of himself and show kindness to another.Retail: $16.95
- Mrs. Piggle WiggleMrs. Piggle-Wiggle knows how to cure children of bad habits including selfishness, talking back, and never wanting to go to bed! Whimsical.Retail: $6.99
- Sled Dog SchoolFocused on themes of friendship and problem-solving, this story highlights the special relationship between a handler and a working dog. Creativity and following your passion saves the day in this engaging...Retail: $7.99
- Cool BeansPerfect for transitioning from graphic novels to traditional books, this funny and action-packed title follows Tucker MacBean on his quest to make art--and himself--seem cool. A wonderful story about...Retail: $7.99
- Book Uncle and MeOriginally published in India, this book is about voting, friendship, and the love of books. When nine-year-old Yasmin suddenly loses her only source of free reading material, she and her family, friends,...Retail: $9.99
- The Bill Martin Jr Big Book of PoetryThis full-color treasury contains nearly 200 poems with original illustrations by award-winning artists. Grouped by theme, this varied anthology contains an impressive number of old favorites and newer...Retail: $24.99
- Room One: A Mystery or TwoA young boy living in rural western Nebraska investigates the connection between a mysterious face in the window of an empty house and the possible closing of the one-room school he attends.Retail: $7.99
- Frankie Sparks and the Class PetFrankie Sparks is a third grader who uses her love for science and math to help her solve problems she comes across in her daily life.Retail: $5.99
- Clara and the BookwagonThe story of a little girl who wants to learn how to read more than anything—and her father who thinks there is no time to read on the farm.Retail: $4.99
- The Long Way to a New LandThings are bad for Carl Erik and his family in Sweden, where they face starvation. So they decide to emigrate to America for a better life. But before they can get there they have to leave everything...Retail: $4.99
- The Long Way WestwardNow that Carl Erik and his family have made it to America, they travel across the country to find their new home. On the way they discover many surprises about this new land.Retail: $4.99
- Prairie SchoolNoah is a hard-working nine-year-old boy on the Colorado prairie. When Aunt Dora arrives to teach him school, Noah doesn't think he needs it. But he discovers that what Aunt Dora has to teach really is...Retail: $4.99
- Keep the Lights Burning, AbbieWhen Papa has to sail to town and Mama is sick in bed, it is up to young Abbie to make sure the lighthouse stays lit so that all the ships are safe. True story. Pb. illus.Retail: $7.99
- Third Grade Detectives #1 and #2This book has two mysteries: The Clue of the Left-Hand Envelope and The Puzzle of the Pretty Pink Handkerchief.Retail: $8.99
- The Chalk Box KidWhen nine-year-old Gregory moved to a new town he had a hard time adjusting to a new neighborhood and a new school.Retail: $5.99
- The Paint Brush KidIt's summertime and Gregory doesn't know what to do. He and his friends get an idea that they can paint Uncle Pancho's house with stories of his life in Mexico. Heartwarming.Retail: $5.99
- Cora FrearCora is a little girl who loves to ride in a horse and buggy with her dad. But one day they see a prairie fire approaching and know that their horses can't outrun it. They're trapped! What will they do...Retail: $6.99
- Tippy LemmeyLeandra, Paul, and Jeannie are three kids with one big problem: Tippy Lemmey. Tippy is a neighborhood dog who chases them, barks at them, and snaps at their heels. He is their number one enemy. But then...Retail: $5.99
- Third Grade Detectives #10When a valuable fifteenth-century statue of Joan of Arc is destroyed at the local art museum, it looks like a case for the Third-Grade Detectives! Who would do it, and why?Retail: $5.99
- TornadoFarmer Pete sits with a group as they await for an oncoming storm to pass and tells stories of his childhood dog, Tornado. This beautiful story captures the love between a boy and his dog.Retail: $6.99
- Jake Drake: Bully BusterJake is a nice kid with one big problem: he always gets picked on by bullies. Can he use his brains to figure out a way to solve this problem and rid his school of bullies?Retail: $5.99
- Third Grade Detectives #4A thief is in town and it's up to the Third-Grade Detectives to solve the case before everyone in class loses their stuff!Retail: $5.99
- Secret ValleyWhat do you do when you've left your home in Missouri to prospect for gold in California . . . but when you arrive, there is no gold to be found?Retail: $7.00
- A Question of YamsKuri's father plants their yams in the name of Jesus Christ, though the Head Men of their village insist that they should be planted with reverence for the spirits.Retail: $10.00
- The House on Walenska StreetA warm and touching story about a Russian Jewish family who has lost its father and wants to emigrate to America. Set just before World War I and the Russian Revolution. Wonderful historical fiction.Retail: $7.00
- The LittlesThe Littles by John Peterson is a simple story about a family of mice-sized people who must survive in a giant world through quick wits and kindness. Fun!Retail: $4.99
- The Last Little CatThe last cat of the litter was a runt. And this is the story of how he found a home.Retail: $9.00
- Riding the Pony ExpressDick Park is the son of a Pony Express rider, Katy Kelly is the daughter of a way station master, and Little Bear is an Indian boy who lives nearby. How three friends keep the mail moving is just part...Retail: $8.00
- The Viking AdventureSigurd, a Viking boy, cannot see the value of learning to read and write. All he can think of is adventure. But then he has an adventure that he cannot help but tell. And to do that, he decides, he must...Retail: $9.00
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
Take up to one year to use your curriculum. If you don’t love it, return it! Complete details here.