Exploring American History
YOUNG ADVENTURERS: DISCOVER AMERICA'S HISTORY
Sonlight A is a delightful, age-appropriate first-grade American History program, done in Sonlight's signature style. In this 36-week program, you'll give your students their first taste of American history. This program will inspire a love of learning as you explore America's unique history.
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
Take up to one year to use your curriculum. If you don’t love it, return it! Complete details here.
Young adventurers: Discover America's history
The History / Bible / Literature program Sonlighters have been wishing for—a delightful, age-appropriate first-grade American History program, done in Sonlight's signature style. Available in 4- or 5-Day!
In this 36-week program, you'll give your students their first taste of American history.
Sonlight A shares the stories of key events and important people in American history. You'll encounter key statesmen and meet the four presidents on Mount Rushmore. You'll cover the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, "The Star-Spangled Banner" (the song and the flag itself), and much more.
You won't find another program like this on the market. It's unique. And fascinating and fun!
In Sonlight A, you'll:
- Inspire a love of learning as you explore America's unique history.
- Read stories of the men and women, artists and presidents, plus a computer programmer, an enslaved potter, a determined dog, a joyful puppeteer—more than three score short biographies.
- Feast on more than two dozen of the best children's books on the planet, carefully selected from the tens of thousands published each year.
- Guide your children confidently each day: you get lesson plans, teaching tips and materials for the entire year.
- Purchase this History / Bible / Literature package and you'll get free shipping (lower 48), a one-year guarantee and other perks.
Estimated daily time for Exploring American History plus your other subjects: Student: 1.5-2 hrs | Parent: 1-1.5 hrs
Overview of the Bible
The Bible portion of the program includes an album of memory songs and The One Year Bible for Children, an excellent overview of the stories of the Scriptures.
The included Sing the Word CD helps you hide God's Word in your heart with memorization exercises. This CD (also includes the digital version), scheduled in the Sonlight A Instructor's Guide, wonderfully complements the rest of the Bible curriculum included in Exploring American History.
Overview of the History
In Sonlight A, our new History spine ties the year's studies together. The sixty chapters in the two-volume Heroes and Happenings introduces children to a wide range of people and events from American History. Some of them are well-known, like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Some are far more obscure, like Dave the Potter, an enslaved African American who inscribed rhymes on his pots at a time when the enslaved were forbidden from learning to read, or Temple Grandin, the autistic professor who transformed how people manage cattle.
Besides this foundational two-volume text, the 4-Day History program includes timeline figures and seven additional books (and the 5-Day program adds three more!). Enjoy a deeper dive into the Revolutionary War, Westward Expansion, the time of the Pilgrims, and more.
You'll learn the stories of key events and important people in American history. In these enthralling books, lavish with illustrations and maps, you'll read a bit from the four big wars (Revolutionary, Civil, WWI, WWII), and the four presidents on Mount Rushmore. You'll cover the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the American flag, "The Star-Spangled Banner," and the Statue of Liberty.
You'll learn about events in almost every one of the 50 states. You'll learn about people from a range of religions and ethnicities, with diverse skin colors and contributions.
As a complete program, this history program is stunning.
Overview of the Literature
The Read-Alouds this year are stellar. These books naturally lead to conversations – about faith, about character, about relationships. These books present worthy heroes who display courage and honesty, who work hard, who love their families, and who do the right thing.
There are a range of fiction books. You'll read one set in the Appalachian Mountains, one in a lighthouse at Christmas, and one in the streets of Paris.
And there is a wonderful variety of fascinating nonfiction: a biography of Johnny Appleseed, born in New England in 1774. There is one book on nurses who served in Appalachia in the 1920s, and one set in France during WWII.
Grade 1 Readers
Designed for children who know the 26 basic letter sounds (only short vowels), this program begins with consonant-vowel-consonant (CVC) words and moves on to long vowel sounds and sight words.
Much of the year is spent on the three I Can Read It! books. In the beginning, one day's reading has perhaps ten simple sentences with a few words in each. By the end, there are more sentences, and the sentences are far more complex.
When the students are done with this series, there are additional easy readers, including the 236-different words book The Cat in the Hat (using the rollicking poetic rhythm anapestic tetrameter, no less!) and Little Bear (5-Day), with not only delightful illustrations but a text that is emotionally moving far beyond the few words it employs.
A delightful collection of early readers.
Click here to learn more about Readers.
- Grade 1 Readers Schedule/Study Guide - 4 DayIncludes the daily schedule and Study Guide.Retail: $15.00
- Sonlight A Instructor's Guide - 4 DayTeach with confidence. The Sonlight A History / Bible / Literature Instructor's Guide shows you how.Retail: $100.00
- One Year Bible for ChildrenRead through the Bible in one year with this Children's Bible story book and devotional for young children. Complete with beautiful illustrations. Gilbert Beers.Retail: $17.99
- Sing the Word! Teach Me Your Paths CDA great mnemonic aid: the entire set of 28 Scripture verses in the Bible K Memory program (plus a bonus track!) set to diverse musical styles. Beautifully arranged for children's voices using orchestral...Retail: $15.99
- Timeline Figures AAll the Timeline Figures needed for Sonlight First Grade American History on self-adhesive heavy card stock. Just cut them out, color and stick them in your Timeline Book. Figures include Thomas Jefferson,...Retail: $14.00
- Granny Han's BreakfastWhen Granny Han went to her cupboard one morning, her cupboard was bare! Granny prayed for her food anyway, and before she knew it, a large and wonderful breakfast appeared before her eyes.Retail: $5.99
- Heroes and Happenings Vol. 1Introduce your kindergarten student to American History with this age-appropriate kindergarten history book. Volume 1. Amy Lykosh.Retail: $26.00
- Heroes and Happenings Vol. 2Learn about people and events throughout American History with this age-appropriate kindergarten history book. Volume 2. Amy Lykosh.Retail: $26.00
- George vs. GeorgeThere are two sides to every story! This wonderfully illustrated book shows both sides of the American Revolution through the eyes of George Washington and King George III. Rosalyn Schanzer.Retail: $6.95
- How We Crossed the WestBeautifully rendered folk-style illustrations help bring to life the story of Lewis and Clark. Descriptive text is taken from their historical journals. Rosalyn Schanzer.Retail: $7.95
- The Very First AmericansLearn all about the first Americans. Watercolor paintings depict the clothing, dwellings, art, tools, and other Native American artifacts. Ashrose and Waldman.Retail: $5.99
- Three Young PilgrimsBased on the true story of the Allerton family. Experience life aboard the Mayflower followed by the first winter in the New World. Detailed paintings bring the pilgrim's first months to life, including...Retail: $7.99
- The New York ColonyA True Book: Thirteen Colonies series allows readers to experience what makes each of America's colonies distinctive and exceptional.Retail: $6.95
- Your Life as a Settler in Colonial AmericaDescribes the life of a settler in Colonial America, addressing work ethic and expectations, education, food, hygiene, dress, and slavery.Retail: $8.95
- Civil War on SundayCannon fire! That's what Jack and Annie hear when the Magic Tree House whisks them back to the time of the American Civil War.Retail: $6.99
- The Light at Tern RockRonnie loves living in the lighthouse, but the days go by, and the keeper doesn't return. A simple but pleasurable Christmas story for all ages.Retail: $7.99
- The Hundred DressesTwo normally sensitive girls repent of "making fun" of the poor girl in their class who says she has a hundred dresses.Retail: $8.99
- Twenty and TenTwenty school children hide ten Jewish children from the Nazis occupying France during World War II.Retail: $6.99
- In Grandma's AtticStories of a remarkable grandmother's childhood in midwest North America over 100 years ago. Bring the past alive as only a born storyteller could.Retail: $6.99
- The Family Under the BridgeSet in Paris, the story of an old hobo whose heart and life become entangled with a fatherless family in search of a home. Included in Sonlight A, this story begins with homelessness and ends with coming...Retail: $7.99
- Here's a PennyWherever Penny goes, he's sure to find adventure. He loses his overalls in a very sticky situation and searches for his new kittens only to find them dressed up in doll clothes.Retail: $7.99
- Adventures with WafflesThis adventure book is outstanding. A year in the life of two neighbors in Norway and their laugh-out-loud adventures. Cheery, sweet, good family story. Touches on grief, remembering, restoration. What...Retail: $7.99
- The Ordinary PrincessAlong with Wit, Charm, Health, and Courage, Princess Amy of Phantasmorania receives a special fairy christening gift: Ordinariness.Retail: $7.99
- The Berenstain Bears' Dollars and SenseA simple introduction to budgeting and the value of a dollar.Retail: $5.99
- Mrs. Piggle WiggleMrs. Piggle-Wiggle knows how to cure children of bad habits including selfishness, talking back, and never wanting to go to bed! Whimsical.Retail: $6.99
- Sled Dog SchoolFocused on themes of friendship and problem-solving, this story highlights the special relationship between a handler and a working dog. Creativity and following your passion saves the day in this engaging...Retail: $7.99
- Cool BeansPerfect for transitioning from graphic novels to traditional books, this funny and action-packed title follows Tucker MacBean on his quest to make art--and himself--seem cool. A wonderful story about...Retail: $7.99
- Book Uncle and MeOriginally published in India, this book is about voting, friendship, and the love of books. When nine-year-old Yasmin suddenly loses her only source of free reading material, she and her family, friends,...Retail: $9.99
- The Bill Martin Jr Big Book of PoetryThis full-color treasury contains nearly 200 poems with original illustrations by award-winning artists. Grouped by theme, this varied anthology contains an impressive number of old favorites and newer...Retail: $24.99
- Room One: A Mystery or TwoA young boy living in rural western Nebraska investigates the connection between a mysterious face in the window of an empty house and the possible closing of the one-room school he attends.Retail: $7.99
- Frankie Sparks and the Class PetFrankie Sparks is a third grader who uses her love for science and math to help her solve problems she comes across in her daily life.Retail: $5.99
- Put Me in the ZooPut Me in the Zoo by Robert Lopshire is an "I Can Read It Myself" book about an animal full of amazing tricks who wants to join the zoo.Retail: $9.99
- One Fish, Two Fish...What can we say about this book? One of the master's best!Retail: $9.99
- A Fly Went ByA boy watches a fly flee from a frog, but the frog isn't chasing the fly; rather, the frog flees from the cat... and so it goes.Retail: $9.99
- The Cat in the HatThe book that made Seuss famous.Retail: $9.99
- Green Eggs and Ham"Try it . . . you might like it" is the theme of this delightful Dr. Seuss classic.Retail: $9.99
- A Big Ball of StringImagine all the amazing things you could do if only you had a huge ball of string!Retail: $9.99
- The Best TrickA Sonlight exclusive, beginning chapter book developed by a homeschooling mom.Retail: $6.00
- I Can Read It! Book 1I Can Read It Book 1 of the series. The I Can Read It! stories engage your child with real plot, action, and humor. Each story moves your child through a natural progression of phonetic and spelling patterns.Retail: $12.00
- I Can Read It! Book 2Book 2 of the I Can Read It series. The I Can Read It! stories engage your child with real plot, action, and humor. Each story moves your child through a natural progression of phonetic and spelling patterns.Retail: $12.00
- I Can Read It! Book 3Book 3 of the I Can Read It series. The I Can Read It! stories engage your child with real plot, action, and humor. Each story moves your child through a natural progression of phonetic and spelling patterns.Retail: $12.00
- I Can Read It! Word ListsBook 4 of the I Can Read It series. This fourth volume in the series contains word lists and shows spelling patterns. Part of the I Can Read It series.Retail: $12.00
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
Take up to one year to use your curriculum. If you don’t love it, return it! Complete details here.