Saxon Math Placement
Get your Saxon Math programs here.
- Primary Grades (Math K-3) placement test
- Middle Grades (Math 54 through Algebra 1/2) placement test
- Algebra 1 placement test
- Algebra 2 placement test
- Upper Grades placement test
Saxon Math Placement Guide
Saxon books are skill-level books, not grade-level books. It is essential that each student be placed in the text that meets his or her skill level. Success with one Saxon book strongly suggests success with the next Saxon book. The following Saxon placement test guide may be used to estimate which book a student should use.
| Advanced Math|
(Geo., Trig., Alg. 4**)
|11th|| Advanced Math|
| Advanced Math|
(Geo., Trig., Alg. 3**)
|10th|| Advanced Math|
|Algebra 2||Algebra 1|
|9th||Algebra 2||Algebra 1||Algebra 1/2|
|8th||Algebra 1||Algebra 1/2||Math 8/7|
|7th||Algebra 1/2||Math 8/7||Math 7/6|
|6th||Math 7/6||Math 7/6||Math 6/5|
|5th||Math 6/5||Math 6/5||Math 5/4|
|4th||Math 5/4||Math 5/4|
* Suggested course titles. Accelerated students will finish Advanced Mathematics in the first semester of eleventh grade and begin Calculus in the second semester. Pre-Calculus I consists of the first 70-90 lessons in Advanced Mathematics. Pre-Calculus II comprises the remaining lessons.
** Suggested course titles. The content in Geometry-Trigonometry-Algebra 3 is identical to that in Pre-Calculus I but is presented at a slower pace. Likewise, Geometry-Trigonometry-Algebra 4 is the same as Pre-Calculus II. Using these course titles allows accelerated students who are not successful in Advanced Mathematics during the tenth grade to try again and still receive credit. Students who complete Advanced Mathematics will have taken the equivalent of two semesters of geometry, one semester of trigonometry, and one semester of advanced algebra. ("Geometry" in the course title ensures credit for geometry.)
*** These students may find the material in Advanced Mathematics difficult. Consider placing them in a less rigorous mathematics course.
- Math 8/7 covers a broad spectrum of topics that are required by the mathematical standards of many states. Considerable pre-algebra content is included, and students who complete the text successfully (80% or higher test scores) will be prepared to take Algebra 1 as their next mathematics course.
- Algebra 1/2 focuses on developing skills that prepare students for algebra. The pre-algebra content is more extensive than the pre-algebra content of Math 8/7; however, the scope is narrower.