Readers E - Five Day
This collection of 19 marvelous books is included in History / Bible / Literature E. If you don't need notes or a schedule, but are just looking for some excellent supplemental reading for your children about American History from 1850 to the present, this book collection is for you!
You'll read several biographies of captivating people, like Harriet Tubman, Helen Keller, the Wright Brothers, and George Washington Carver.
You'll read some books that are just delightful classics, like By the Great Horn Spoon, From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, and Henry Reed, Inc.
And you'll read several very different coming-of-age books, like Old Yeller, Because of Winn-Dixie, and The Seventeenth Swap.Even parents delight in these books. Absolutely outstanding!
- Hero Over HereTheodore learns that heroism requires more--and less--than he imagined in this story set during the deadly flu epidemic at the end of World War I. Moving.Retail: $6.99
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. FrankweilerClaudia and her brother Jamie run away from home . . . and find themselves caught in a mystery that makes headlines. Enjoyable.Retail: $8.99
- By the Great Horn SpoonTo save his aunt's home, young Jack and his butler rush off to California to join the '49ers in their hunt for gold. Fun!Retail: $8.99
- Freedom TrainFascinating biography of Harriet Tubman, a black woman who risked her life helping other slaves reach freedom on the Underground Railroad.Retail: $6.99
- Shades of GrayThought-provoking story of a boy who was orphaned by the Civil War as he struggles to forgive "the enemy" and discover what true courage is all about.Retail: $7.99
- Turn Homeward, HannaleeTwo thousand Georgia textile workers were shipped North against their will to work in Yankee mills. Twelve-year old Hannalee was one of them. This is the true story of how she fulfilled her promise to...Retail: $7.99
- Old YellerThe touching Newbery Honor story about a boy and the dog he loves. Set during frontier days in the Texas hill country.Retail: $6.99
- Helen KellerThe biography of Helen Keller, a blind and deaf girl who overcame her limitations through courage and the firm love of a caring teacher.Retail: $5.99
- All-of-a-Kind FamilyThe light-hearted story of an all-girl family in a crowded section of New York City at the turn of the 19th century.Retail: $6.99
- Thimble SummerNewbery Medal winner about a mid-American farm family in the early 20th century. Charming.Retail: $7.99
- Plain GirlDespite her father's objections, a young Amish girl secretly looks forward to attending public school where she makes a best friend and gains a new perspective on her family's way of life.Retail: $7.99
- Gone Away LakeTwo children discover the remains of a lake long since dried up and forgotten, the ruins of once-elegant homes that stood along its shore . . . and two fascinating old people who remember the glory years....Retail: $7.99
- The Seventeenth SwapEric wants to buy his young crippled friend Jimmy a pair of red cowboy boots.Retail: $10.99
- BruchkoThe true story of Bruce Olson who, at 19 years of age, leaves his home in Minnesota to reach the Motilone Indians, a murderous tribe in the jungles of Colombia.Retail: $14.99
- The Wright BrothersA delightful account of the exploits, the family life, and the character of the two bike builders who are generally credited with having been the first to engage in powered flight.Retail: $5.99
- Sing Down the MoonBeautifully written Newbery Honor story of a teen aged girl who is confronted by the challenges of life as a female member of the Navaho nation in the mid-1860s. Poignant and thought-provoking.Retail: $7.99
- Because of Winn-DixieDiCamillo. Newbery Honor. Because of Winn-Dixie, a big, ugly, happy dog, 10-year-old Opal learns 10 things about her long-gone mother from her preacher father. Because of Winn-Dixie, Opal makes new friends...Retail: $7.99
- Henry Reed, Inc.Famous story about an entrepreneurial boy and his humorous escapades.Retail: $7.99
- George Washington CarverGeorge Washington Carver, once a kidnapped enslaved child, overcame significant obstacles to become an outstanding scientist.Retail: $9.99