Intro to World Cultures - 2022 Version
YOUNG ADVENTURERS: EXPLORE GOD'S BIG WORLD!
Sonlight's History / Bible / Literature A (2022 Version) sets the stage for future learning with its gentle introduction to formal academics. Your children develop a big-picture understanding that past civilizations existed and that people live differently throughout the world. Sonlight A is an introduction to the world. Like a sample platter, you'll get a taste of different world cultures and different periods in World History. And so, when you return to the Romans and Vikings in years to come, your children will have a mental peg already in place when they learn the new information. The knowledge you'll gain this year builds a framework for future in-depth history study.
This 36-week homeschool program also helps children start to see past themselves. Not everyone lives like they do! As a result, they are able to look at situations from another person's point of view and to relate to others who are different from them. They also develop a healthy curiosity about the world around them.
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
Take up to one year to use your curriculum. If you don’t love it, return it! Complete details here.
The 2022 version of History / Bible / Literature A focuses on World Cultures. The new 2023 version of History / Bible / Literature A focuses on American History.
If you used Sonlight's History / Bible / Literature K program for the 2022-2023 school year (Exploring American History), you will want to purchase this 2022 Version of History / Bible / Literature A to continue in the history progression (and not duplicate the Exploring American History you have already completed).
Young adventurers: Explore God's big world!
Sonlight A sets the stage for future learning with its gentle introduction to formal academics. Your children develop a big-picture understanding that past civilizations existed and that people live differently throughout the world. Sonlight A is an introduction to the world. Like a sample platter, you'll get a taste of different world cultures and different periods in World History. And so, when you return to the Romans and Vikings in years to come, your children will have a mental peg already in place when they learn the new information. The knowledge you'll gain this year builds a framework for future in-depth history study.
This 36-week program also helps children start to see past themselves. Not everyone lives like they do! As a result, they are able to look at situations from another person's point of view and to relate to others who are different from them. They also develop a healthy curiosity about the world around them.
Your children won't be little forever, and this program allows you to enjoy this year together. From hands-on activities to stories they'll remember their entire lives, get ready for lots of laughs and hugs. In Sonlight A, you'll:
- Inspire a love of learning, gain a sense of history and explore far-off places.
- Guide your children confidently each day: you get lesson plans, teaching tips and materials for the entire year.
- Trek with missionaries, visit ancient Egypt and travel through jungles, America, Imperial China ... and more!
- Devour fun historical fiction, stirring true stories and many children's classics.
- Purchase this History / Bible / Literature package and you'll get free shipping (lower 48), a one-year guarantee and other perks.
Estimated daily time for Intro to the World: Cultures plus your other subjects: Student: 1.5-2 hrs | Parent: 1-1.5 hrs
Overview of the History
In Sonlight A, two books tie the year's studies together. Both The Usborne Children's Encyclopedia and Living Long Ago feature simple text and excellent illustrations. You get brief, picture-filled overviews of key civilizations, like the Roman Empire and the Vikings. Explore the way people ate, dressed and lived through the centuries.
The History also includes several wonderful, age-appropriate missionary biographies to learn first-hand how the good news of Jesus changes people and cultures.
This program also includes a wonderful children's Bible. When you read Egermeier's Bible Story Book to your children, they will beg you to "read one more chapter!"
Overview of the Literature
The Read-Alouds this year are stellar. These books naturally lead to conversations – about faith, about character, about relationships. These books present worthy heroes who display courage and honesty, who work hard, who love their families, and who do the right thing.
There are a range of fiction books. You'll read one set in the Appalachian Mountains, one in a lighthouse at Christmas, and one in the streets of Paris.
And there is a wonderful variety of fascinating nonfiction: a biography of Johnny Appleseed, born in New England in 1774. There is one book on nurses who served in Appalachia in the 1920s, and one set in France during WWII.
Grade 1 Readers
Designed for children who know the 26 basic letter sounds (only short vowels), this program begins with consonant-vowel-consonant (CVC) words and moves on to long vowel sounds and sight words.
Much of the year is spent on the three I Can Read It! books. In the beginning, one day's reading has perhaps ten simple sentences with a few words in each. By the end, there are more sentences, and the sentences are far more complex.
When the students are done with this series, there are additional easy readers, including the 236-different words book The Cat in the Hat (using the rollicking poetic rhythm anapestic tetrameter, no less!) and Little Bear (5-Day), with not only delightful illustrations but a text that is emotionally moving far beyond the few words it employs.
A delightful collection of early readers.
Click here to learn more about Readers.
- Grade 1 Readers Schedule/Study Guide - 4 DayIncludes the daily schedule and Study Guide.Retail: $15.00
- Sonlight A Instructor's Guide - 4 DayWhen you order History / Bible / Literature A: Intro to the World: Cultures (2022 Version), your young adventurers will set out to explore God's big world and gain a sense of history, as they trek with...Retail: $100.00
- Create-A-CalendarSixteen-month calendar covers your entire school year and teaches kids about the calendar. Learn the days, weeks and months of the year.Retail: $13.99
- Egermeier's Bible Story BookThe Egermeier's Bible Story book is a complete narration from Genesis to Revelation for young and old.Retail: $16.99
- Sing the Word: From A to Z CDA great mnemonic aid: the entire set of 26 Scripture verses in the Bible A Memory program set to diverse musical styles on CD.Retail: $15.95
- Mary on HorsebackThere are no hospitals or doctors in the Appalachian Mountains in the 1920s, so Mary Breckinridge, founds the Frontier Nursing Service to help those in need.Retail: $6.99
- Johnny Appleseed: The Story of a LegendThe real Johnny Appleseed was born John Chapman in 1774, in a small Massachusetts village. Discover his story through this wise and witty work. Learn how the apple tree-planting folk hero helped open...Retail: $8.99
- Living Long AgoFrom ancient Egypt to the early part of this century: satisfy or spark your child's curiosity about how people used to dress, travel, eat and live.Retail: $14.99
- Timeline Figures AOver 40 Timeline Figures for Sonlight A (2022 Version) on self-adhesive heavy card stock. Just cut them out, color and stick them in your Timeline Book.Retail: $14.00
- Usborne Internet-Linked Children's EncyclopediaIntroduces your child to world geography, geology, cultures, weather, simple physics (light, levers, etc.) and much more. Fun pictures throughout.Retail: $15.99
- Out of DarknessA biography of Louis Braille. From his childhood and time at the Royal Institute for Blind Youth in Paris, through the latter years of his life as he persevered until the alphabet he developed gained...Retail: $9.99
- Game On in Ancient GreeceSiblings end up at the inception of the ancient Greek Olympics. The comic book style invites repeated reading. Excellent content and enjoyable.Retail: $11.99
- The Good News Must Go OutMama Laird served as a missionary in the Central African Republic for decades, and saw great moves to God. One dear follower was beaten by drunks until he almost died, but 300 or so people came to his...Retail: $8.99
- Return of the White BookGod prepared the way for the Karen people of Burma to come to know him. When George Boardman and Adoniram Judson arrived, the Burmese were not terribly interested, but the Karen were desperately ready....Retail: $8.99
- The Light at Tern RockRonnie loves living in the lighthouse, but the days go by, and the keeper doesn't return. A simple but pleasurable Christmas story for all ages.Retail: $7.99
- The Hundred DressesTwo normally sensitive girls repent of "making fun" of the poor girl in their class who says she has a hundred dresses.Retail: $8.99
- Twenty and TenTwenty school children hide ten Jewish children from the Nazis occupying France during World War II.Retail: $6.99
- In Grandma's AtticStories of a remarkable grandmother's childhood in midwest North America over 100 years ago. Bring the past alive as only a born storyteller could.Retail: $6.99
- The Family Under the BridgeSet in Paris, the story of an old hobo whose heart and life become entangled with a fatherless family in search of a home. Included in Sonlight A, this story begins with homelessness and ends with coming...Retail: $7.99
- Here's a PennyWherever Penny goes, he's sure to find adventure. He loses his overalls in a very sticky situation and searches for his new kittens only to find them dressed up in doll clothes.Retail: $7.99
- Adventures with WafflesThis adventure book is outstanding. A year in the life of two neighbors in Norway and their laugh-out-loud adventures. Cheery, sweet, good family story. Touches on grief, remembering, restoration. What...Retail: $7.99
- The Ordinary PrincessAlong with Wit, Charm, Health, and Courage, Princess Amy of Phantasmorania receives a special fairy christening gift: Ordinariness.Retail: $7.99
- The Berenstain Bears' Dollars and SenseA simple introduction to budgeting and the value of a dollar.Retail: $5.99
- Mrs. Piggle WiggleMrs. Piggle-Wiggle knows how to cure children of bad habits including selfishness, talking back, and never wanting to go to bed! Whimsical.Retail: $6.99
- Sled Dog SchoolFocused on themes of friendship and problem-solving, this story highlights the special relationship between a handler and a working dog. Creativity and following your passion saves the day in this engaging...Retail: $7.99
- Cool BeansPerfect for transitioning from graphic novels to traditional books, this funny and action-packed title follows Tucker MacBean on his quest to make art--and himself--seem cool. A wonderful story about...Retail: $7.99
- Book Uncle and MeOriginally published in India, this book is about voting, friendship, and the love of books. When nine-year-old Yasmin suddenly loses her only source of free reading material, she and her family, friends,...Retail: $9.99
- The Bill Martin Jr Big Book of PoetryThis full-color treasury contains nearly 200 poems with original illustrations by award-winning artists. Grouped by theme, this varied anthology contains an impressive number of old favorites and newer...Retail: $24.99
- Room One: A Mystery or TwoA young boy living in rural western Nebraska investigates the connection between a mysterious face in the window of an empty house and the possible closing of the one-room school he attends.Retail: $7.99
- Frankie Sparks and the Class PetFrankie Sparks is a third grader who uses her love for science and math to help her solve problems she comes across in her daily life.Retail: $5.99
- Put Me in the ZooPut Me in the Zoo by Robert Lopshire is an "I Can Read It Myself" book about an animal full of amazing tricks who wants to join the zoo.Retail: $9.99
- One Fish, Two Fish...What can we say about this book? One of the master's best!Retail: $9.99
- A Fly Went ByA boy watches a fly flee from a frog, but the frog isn't chasing the fly; rather, the frog flees from the cat... and so it goes.Retail: $9.99
- The Cat in the HatThe book that made Seuss famous.Retail: $9.99
- Green Eggs and Ham"Try it . . . you might like it" is the theme of this delightful Dr. Seuss classic.Retail: $9.99
- A Big Ball of StringImagine all the amazing things you could do if only you had a huge ball of string!Retail: $9.99
- The Best TrickA Sonlight exclusive, beginning chapter book developed by a homeschooling mom.Retail: $6.00
- I Can Read It! Book 1I Can Read It Book 1 of the series. The I Can Read It! stories engage your child with real plot, action, and humor. Each story moves your child through a natural progression of phonetic and spelling patterns.Retail: $12.00
- I Can Read It! Book 2Book 2 of the I Can Read It series. The I Can Read It! stories engage your child with real plot, action, and humor. Each story moves your child through a natural progression of phonetic and spelling patterns.Retail: $12.00
- I Can Read It! Book 3Book 3 of the I Can Read It series. The I Can Read It! stories engage your child with real plot, action, and humor. Each story moves your child through a natural progression of phonetic and spelling patterns.Retail: $12.00
- I Can Read It! Word ListsBook 4 of the I Can Read It series. This fourth volume in the series contains word lists and shows spelling patterns. Part of the I Can Read It series.Retail: $12.00
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
Take up to one year to use your curriculum. If you don’t love it, return it! Complete details here.