Exploring American History - 2022 Version
YOUNG ADVENTURERS: DISCOVER AMERICA'S HISTORY
Sonlight K (2022 Version) is a delightful, age-appropriate Kindergarten American History program, done in Sonlight's signature style. In this 36-week program, you'll give your students their first taste of American history. This program will inspire a love of learning as you explore America's unique history.
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
Take up to one year to use your curriculum. If you don’t love it, return it! Complete details here.
The 2022 version of History / Bible / Literature K focuses on American History. The new 2023 version of History / Bible / Literature K focuses on World Cultures. Purchase the 2023 version here.
Young adventurers: Discover America's history
The History / Bible / Literature program Sonlighters have been wishing for—a delightful, age-appropriate Kindergarten American History program, done in Sonlight's signature style. Available in 4- or 5-Day!
In this 36-week program, you'll give your students their first taste of American history.
Sonlight K shares the stories of key events and important people in American history. You'll encounter key statesmen and meet the four presidents on Mount Rushmore. You'll cover the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, "The Star-Spangled Banner" (the song and the flag itself), and much more.
You won't find another program like this on the market. It's unique. And fascinating and fun!
In Sonlight K, you'll:
- Inspire a love of learning as you explore America's unique history.
- Read stories of the men and women, artists and presidents, plus a computer programmer, an enslaved potter, a determined dog, a joyful puppeteer—more than three score short biographies.
- Feast on more than two dozen of the best children's books on the planet, carefully selected from the tens of thousands published each year.
- Guide your children confidently each day: you get lesson plans, teaching tips and materials for the entire year.
- Purchase this History / Bible / Literature package and you'll get free shipping (lower 48), a one-year guarantee and other perks.
Estimated daily time for Exploring American History plus your other subjects: Student: 1.5-2 hrs | Parent: 1-1.5 hrs
Overview of the Bible
The Bible portion of the program includes an album of memory songs and The One Year Bible for Children, an excellent overview of the stories of the Scriptures.
The included Sing the Word CD helps you hide God's Word in your heart with memorization exercises. This CD (also includes the digital version), scheduled in the Sonlight K Instructor's Guide, wonderfully complements the rest of the Bible curriculum included in Exploring American History.
Overview of the History
In Sonlight K, our new History spine ties the year's studies together. The sixty chapters in the two-volume Heroes and Happenings introduces children to a wide range of people and events from American History. Some of them are well known, like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Some are far more obscure, like Dave the Potter, an enslaved African American who inscribed rhymes on his pots at a time when the enslaved were forbidden from learning to read, or Temple Grandin, the autistic professor who transformed how people manage cattle.
Besides this foundational two-volume text, the 4-Day History program includes timeline figures and seven additional books (and the 5-Day program adds three more!). Enjoy a deeper dive into the Revolutionary War, Westward Expansion, the time of the Pilgrims, and more.
You'll learn the stories of key events and important people in American history. In these enthralling books, lavish with illustrations and maps, you'll read a bit from the four big wars (Revolutionary, Civil, WWI, WWII), and the four presidents on Mount Rushmore. You'll cover the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, the American flag, "The Star-Spangled Banner," and the Statue of Liberty.
You'll learn about events in almost every one of the 50 states. You'll learn about people from a range of religions and ethnicities, with diverse skin colors and contributions.
As a complete program, this history program is stunning.
Overview of the Literature
You'll enjoy more than a dozen of the best children's books on the planet, books carefully selected from the tens of the thousands published each year.
The Read-Alouds in History / Bible / Literature K are a tremendous treat! Seventeen marvelous books in the 4-Day program, plus four additional titles in 5-Day (which are truly most excellent; even if you opt for the 4-Day program, these four are well worth adding to your order).
Enjoy animal books and adventure books, and books about life in interesting places. Beautifully written, age appropriate, appealing illustrations, humorous plots—this is a program to celebrate, with books the team has carefully curated over many years. (Early elementary is one of the hardest ages to find good books—children still have limited vocabulary and prefer short chapters).
Grade 1 Readers
Designed for children who know the 26 basic letter sounds (only short vowels), this program begins with consonant-vowel-consonant (CVC) words and moves on to long vowel sounds and sight words.
Much of the year is spent on the three I Can Read It! books. In the beginning, one day's reading has perhaps ten simple sentences with a few words in each. By the end, there are more sentences, and the sentences are far more complex.
When the students are done with this series, there are additional easy readers, including the 236-different words book The Cat in the Hat (using the rollicking poetic rhythm anapestic tetrameter, no less!) and Little Bear, with not only delightful illustrations but a text that is emotionally moving far beyond the few words it employs.
A delightful collection of early readers.
Click here learn more about Readers.
- Grade 1 Readers Schedule/Study Guide - 4 DayIncludes the daily schedule and Study Guide.Retail: $15.00
- Sonlight K Instructor's Guide - 4 DayTeach with confidence. The Sonlight K History / Bible / Literature Instructor's Guide shows you how.Retail: $100.00
- One Year Bible for ChildrenRead through the Bible in one year with this Children's Bible story book and devotional for young children. Complete with beautiful illustrations. Gilbert Beers.Retail: $17.99
- Sing the Word! Teach Me Your Paths CDA great mnemonic aid: the entire set of 28 Scripture verses in the Bible K Memory program (plus a bonus track!) set to diverse musical styles. Beautifully arranged for children's voices using orchestral...Retail: $15.99
- Granny Han's BreakfastWhen Granny Han went to her cupboard one morning, her cupboard was bare! Granny prayed for her food anyway, and before she knew it, a large and wonderful breakfast appeared before her eyes.Retail: $5.99
- Heroes and Happenings Vol. 1Introduce your kindergarten student to American History with this age-appropriate kindergarten history book. Volume 1. Amy Lykosh.Retail: $26.00
- Heroes and Happenings Vol. 2Learn about people and events throughout American History with this age-appropriate kindergarten history book. Volume 2. Amy Lykosh.Retail: $26.00
- Timeline Figures - KAll the Timeline Figures needed for Sonlight Kindergarten History (2022 Version) on self-adhesive heavy card stock. Just cut them out, color and stick them in your Timeline Book. Figures include Thomas...Retail: $12.00
- George vs. GeorgeThere are two sides to every story! This wonderfully illustrated book shows both sides of the American Revolution through the eyes of George Washington and King George III. Rosalyn Schanzer.Retail: $6.95
- How We Crossed the WestBeautifully rendered folk-style illustrations help bring to life the story of Lewis and Clark. Descriptive text is taken from their historical journals. Rosalyn Schanzer.Retail: $7.95
- The Very First AmericansLearn all about the first Americans. Watercolor paintings depict the clothing, dwellings, art, tools, and other Native American artifacts. Ashrose and Waldman.Retail: $5.99
- Three Young PilgrimsBased on the true story of the Allerton family. Experience life aboard the Mayflower followed by the first winter in the New World. Detailed paintings bring the pilgrim's first months to life, including...Retail: $7.99
- The New York ColonyA True Book: Thirteen Colonies series allows readers to experience what makes each of America's colonies distinctive and exceptional.Retail: $6.95
- Your Life as a Settler in Colonial AmericaDescribes the life of a settler in Colonial America, addressing work ethic and expectations, education, food, hygiene, dress, and slavery.Retail: $8.95
- Civil War on SundayCannon fire! That's what Jack and Annie hear when the Magic Tree House whisks them back to the time of the American Civil War.Retail: $6.99
- The Llama Who Had No PajamaFrom silly to contemplative, a satisfying collection of 100 favorite poems. Young readers of all levels will eat this up, and come back for more. Delightfully illustrated.Retail: $8.99
- Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You BookA series of stories featuring Huckle, Lowly, Pig Will, Pig Won't, and other characters who demonstrate the good will generated by nice manners. Zany pictures and stories help reinforce manners lessons.Retail: $4.99
- My Father's DragonA delightful story about a boy who rescues a sweet young dragon from her enemies through the judicious use of the unlikely items he has stored in his knapsack.Retail: $7.95
- Dolphin AdventureEighty feet below the ocean's surface, Wayne Grover encounters three dolphins, one with a large fish hook stuck in his back.Retail: $5.99
- A Grain of RiceA humble farmer wants to marry the Emperor's daughter . . . and succeeds because of his wisdom.Retail: $7.99
- The Boxcar ChildrenThe classic Gertrude Chandler Warner book about four orphans who have to fend for themselves. Henry, Jessie, Violet, and Benny are orphans. Determined to make it on their own, they set out to find a safe...Retail: $7.99
- Dolphin TreasureSequel to Dolphin Adventure. Wayne is searching for buried treasure that sunk with a Spanish galleon off the Florida coast when a storm arises and his dolphin friend comes to his rescue.Retail: $6.99
- Little House in the Big WoodsIn the late 1870's, wolves, panthers and bears roam the deep Wisconsin woods. In those same woods, Laura lives with Pa and Ma, and her sisters, Mary and Baby Carrie, in a snug little house built of logs....Retail: $8.99
- Anna HibiscusLearn all about a different culture while sharing Anna's experiences in Africa with her family. Short stories perfect for younger children. Atinuke.Retail: $7.99
- Adventures of a South Pole PigFlora the pig is an adventurer! Join her as she sets her heart on becoming a sled dog (well, a sled pig) and takes an exhilarating--and dangerous--trip aboard a ship to Antartica. Chris Kurtz.Retail: $7.99
- The Silver BalloonA captivating story about a young boy who acquires a pen pal in an unusual way. Susan Bonners.Retail: $9.99
- The World According to HumphreyExperience the world through the eyes of a young hamster. Humphrey spends the week in a classroom, and each weekend travels to the home of a different student. A great story about encouraging others....Retail: $7.99
- Just DanceA memorable tale about a young girl facing a seemingly boring summer on her family's farm. An intriguing look at small town life. Patricia Mclachlan.Retail: $7.99
- Roxie and the HooligansThe story of Roxie, a little girl with a big imagination. She knows how to handle all situations from reading her books, but has to put her wits and adventurous spirit to work to outsmart some school...Retail: $7.99
- Heartwood Hotel: A True HomeThis delightfully enticing start of a new chapter book series tells a tale of friendship, courage, and community, with exquisite black-and-white illustrations throughout. The reader will become involved...Retail: $5.99
- Franklin Endicott and the Third KeyThe latest tale from Deckawoo Drive—and New York Times best-selling creators Kate DiCamillo and Chris Van Dusen—is a balm for young worrywarts facing the unknown.Retail: $15.99
- FeelingsA classic picture book that is a great way to explore feelings with kids. Sometimes it's hard for children to understand or explain their feelings. This book encourages dialogue about emotions. Aliki.Retail: $7.99
- Put Me in the ZooPut Me in the Zoo by Robert Lopshire is an "I Can Read It Myself" book about an animal full of amazing tricks who wants to join the zoo.Retail: $9.99
- One Fish, Two Fish...What can we say about this book? One of the master's best!Retail: $9.99
- A Fly Went ByA boy watches a fly flee from a frog, but the frog isn't chasing the fly; rather, the frog flees from the cat... and so it goes.Retail: $9.99
- The Cat in the HatThe book that made Seuss famous.Retail: $9.99
- Green Eggs and Ham"Try it . . . you might like it" is the theme of this delightful Dr. Seuss classic.Retail: $9.99
- A Big Ball of StringImagine all the amazing things you could do if only you had a huge ball of string!Retail: $9.99
- The Best TrickA Sonlight exclusive, beginning chapter book developed by a homeschooling mom.Retail: $6.00
- I Can Read It! Book 1I Can Read It Book 1 of the series. The I Can Read It! stories engage your child with real plot, action, and humor. Each story moves your child through a natural progression of phonetic and spelling patterns.Retail: $12.00
- I Can Read It! Book 2Book 2 of the I Can Read It series. The I Can Read It! stories engage your child with real plot, action, and humor. Each story moves your child through a natural progression of phonetic and spelling patterns.Retail: $12.00
- I Can Read It! Book 3Book 3 of the I Can Read It series. The I Can Read It! stories engage your child with real plot, action, and humor. Each story moves your child through a natural progression of phonetic and spelling patterns.Retail: $12.00
- I Can Read It! Word ListsBook 4 of the I Can Read It series. This fourth volume in the series contains word lists and shows spelling patterns. Part of the I Can Read It series.Retail: $12.00
100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE
Take up to one year to use your curriculum. If you don’t love it, return it! Complete details here.