The Accelerated Individualized Mastery (AIM) program uses proven Math-U-See strategies and manipulatives in combination with an accelerated approach to master single-digit addition and subtraction facts. Students with these gaps in understanding can experience difficulty processing complex mathematical concepts as their mental energy is consumed by processing these fundamental skills.
The AIM program replaces inefficient methods and processes (such as counting or tallying) with more effective strategies based on number relationships and reasoning. These strategies provide solid conceptual understanding and allow facts to be stored in long-term visual memory for quick retrieval. Successful completion of the AIM program helps restore students confidence and provides them with the necessary skills to successfully solve more complex problems.
The complete set includes everything you need to complete the AIM for Addition and Subtraction program:
- AIM Resource Guide with program overview, lesson instruction, and more.
- Math-U-See Integer Blocks, integrated within the lessons and strategies.
- Math-U-See Colored Pencils, aligned with the integer block colors.
- Math Fact Strategy Posters, a visual reminder of addition fact strategies.
- Fact Check Cards, used in most AIM lessons for planning instruction and assessing mastery.
- Set includes a code to redeem access to the AIM for Addition and Subtraction Digital Pack.
Who should use AIM?
Created for students 8 years and older who:
- Have completed addition and subtraction fact coursework without mastery.
- Use tally marks or count on their fingers.
- Are struggling as they face increasingly advanced math concepts.
- Need more efficient strategies to increase fact fluency.
AIM for Addition and Subtraction:
- Focuses exclusively on single-digit addition and subtraction fact mastery.
- Uses proven strategies and manipulatives from the Math-U-See Curriculum.
- Incorporates language and activities that are updated for more mature students.
- Is free of distractions and additional topics beyond fundamental facts.
- Can be completed at the student's pace.
- Provides tools to ensure mastery has been achieved and can be maintained.
The AIM program is designed for students age 8 and older. Younger students may find some of the strategies difficult to perform.
Note: The Digital Pack includes lesson videos, instruction, solutions, and printable resources. Internet access is required for successful implementation of the AIM program.
The AIM program is designed to address the problem of foundational math
weaknesses in students age 8 and older. These students typically rely on ineffective strategies such as counting and tallying to complete fundamental math computation. These strategies lose effectiveness and become a stumbling block as students advance in math instruction. AIM for Addition and Subtraction specifically addresses gaps in mastery of single-digit addition and subtraction facts. Take the AIM Assessment before beginning this program.