This 8-week curriculum package includes everything you need to finish your school year strong. Designed for children ages 12-14 (grades 7-9), this Sonlight package is a comprehensive, yet easy-to-use curriculum that includes everything: daily lesson plans, book notes, teaching tips, and all the books and materials you need to teach. By this age, some families release their children to work independently, but many others continue to do at least some subjects together.
- Language Arts
- All connected with a daily schedule – what we refer to as an Instructor’s Guide.
Overview of the Instructor’s Guide
All the lesson plans, activities, notes and teaching tips you need to teach your child. The Sonlight Instructor’s Guide takes the books included in this curriculum package and turns it into a cohesive curriculum—all of the planning has been done for you! Just open the guide and go.
The Instructor's Guide included in this package is digital. You will be able to download the IG from your Sonlight account after purchase; when the physical books have shipped.
Overview of History
You and your children will enjoy the Usborne 12,000 Years of World History, a beautifully illustrated book, with an amazingly thorough coverage of world events. Truly world events, including Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and the Americas, as well as the standard European world history. By the end of two months, your children will have a thorough overview of world history.
Overview of Bible
You’ll find memorization prompts and selected Bible readings to enjoy every day.
Overview of Language Arts
You’ll find daily creative writing prompts.
Overview of Literature
For Literature, you’ll enjoy both Read-Alouds, the books you read aloud to your children, and Readers, the books your children read to you or read independently.
You’ll enjoy four Read-Alouds:
- The Golden Goblet, a family favorite set in ancient Egypt, tells the story of a boy who works in a goldsmith shop. When a theft forces him to leave his job, he heads out into the world and eventually prevents a tomb robbery. This dramatic and exciting story gives a good picture of life in that time period.
- In The Shakespeare Stealer, set during Elizabethan England, orphan boy Widge has instructions to steal Shakespeare’s Hamlet. What a cut-throat time the theater was in those days. A delightful look at life with the bard.
- A Murder for Her Majesty, set during the reign of Queen Elizabeth, tells of a girl, fleeing for her life, who ends up singing in a cathedral choir. The deep friendships she forms, the hysterical shenanigans she and her friends get into, the ability that she has to overcome all obstacles … it's charming and delightful, with music and mystery, a unique offering.
- The Sherwood Ring, despite its name, is not a Robin Hood tale. Rather, set during the time of the American Revolution, various figures tell stories related to the dashing hero Peaceable Drummond Sherwood, a British officer who delightfully manages to thwart the American colonists’ efforts to win their freedom. It's shimmeringly good.
In Readers, you’ll enjoy several wonderful titles.
- The Mystery of the Roman Ransom is a delightful mystery set in ancient Rome. A group of schoolboys attempt to solve the mystery, and along they way they meet fearsome gladiators, and their grumpy schoolteacher. It’s a hoot, while also offering a glimpse into the patrician lifestyle during the time of the ancient Romans.
- Adam of the Road is a heartwarming story about the son of a traveling minstrel. After he is separated from his father, he must live by his wits and his music. A good look at a less familiar time period.
- The War That Saved My Life tells the story of siblings who left London during the Blitz in WWII. They end up being on located at the landing area for the soldiers who evacuated during the siege at Dunkirk. Many customers claim this is an all-time favorite.
- Under the Egg is set in contemporary New York, though it ends up being an art mystery, and an amazing look at the Monuments Men, those bold investigators who sought to save cultural treasures from the Nazis during and after WWII.
All of these titles offer fascinating and exciting stories that will expand and enhance your students’ understanding of history. We hope you enjoy.
Daily Time Requirements:
Child; Parent: 2 - 3.5 hrs
If you have any questions about what 8-week curriculum package to order, or what would be right for your family, please don't hesitate to contact a Sonlight Advisor and get some additional information.