Here it is: your "official" sneak peak at 2013 Sonlight curriculum improvements!
We're excited to "pull back the curtain" and give you a preview – the very first look at what's new for 2013. Based on the feedback of customers, along with the innovations offered by our team, here are the curriculum improvements available to you, starting April 1:
Format updates to Cores H and W match lower Cores
Last year we made major improvements to Cores A–G. This year the "overhaul" is complete, as we've made similar innovations across Core H: World History, Year 2 of 2 andCore W: One-Year World History. You'll discover:
- More intuitive Instructor's Guides – Your schedule, notes, discussion questions, teaching tips, laminated color maps and more are now all in one convenient, easy-access location.
- New books – Sarita reread and evaluated all the books and swapped out some. Look for the "NEW" title listings in the soon-to-be-released 2013 catalog.
- Enhanced Language Arts – We strengthened the program with a better balance of creative writing, grammar and mechanics, along with clearer parent instructions and easy-to-find placement right behind the Core content.
Cores D and D+E enhanced
(Note: If you used Core D last year and are continuing with Core E, you'll still be able to use the Landmark History and Story of the US texts you received last year with your Core D package.
- Landmark History of the American People completely revised – Sarita's husband (and Sonlight's co-founder), John, worked directly with the family of former Librarian of Congress, Daniel Boorstin, to completely revise and make a great American history book even better! Now in two separate volumes, with easier readability, new full-color illustrations and many maps that provide context and aid understanding.
- New Children's Encyclopedia of American History – A fascinating, visually enticing book (more than 1,000 photos) that appeals to even reluctant readers. Includes texts of our nation's most important documents (Declaration of Independence, Constitution, Gettysburg Address). This book replaces the four-volume Story of the US.
Extensive upper-level updates
- Customizable high school Cores – While our recommended Cores work well for most families, you now have the flexibility to "mix and match" Core 100–400 History/Bible and Literature/Language Arts courses to build a unique Core that fits your student's unique interests and goals, and builds the transcript he or she needs.
- Core 400 completely revised – Core 400 now teams two 18-week courses, American Government and Economics, with a 36-week American Literature course. The condensed and updated Government course takes you on a thorough and enjoyable tour of U.S. government. A new Literature focus helps students learn to read with greater understanding (plus 13 new award-winning books and authors). Two fresh texts reveal the Bible's impact on society and explore the integration of our faith with civil government.
Computer courses your children will enjoy (and everyone will understand)
Sonlight wants to walk alongside and serve your family's homeschool needs in the upcoming school year. If you have any questions or would like assistance in choosing curriculum, remember that our Sonlight Curriculum Advisors (SCAs) are available to help, at no additional cost, throughout the year.
- New KidCoder™ and TeenCoder™ computer programming – Hands-on, real-world programming skills – no prior experience needed by students OR parents! Be sure to check out the video that explains why some (e.g., Steve Jobs, Apple Computer) believe every student today should learn how to program a computer.
I look forward to serving you and your family in the coming year!
Customer Relations Manager